 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2799
Re: And the July Surprise is...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 14:59:42 GMT

Brad & All,

Okay, so it's still June. Let's just say that we're as eager to announce
this as you are to hear about it. So without further ado...

LEGO Direct is pleased to announce the arrival of a new product series: LEGO
Legends. LEGO Legends are reissues of landmark LEGO sets -- perhaps the
first set in a particular playtheme, or a set widely acknowledged as a
superlative building experience, or perhaps simply a much beloved set.

And the first LEGO Legend is (the envelope please)...

The Guarded Inn (set #6067).

(I like to imagine that at this point in the message there will be gasps and
the sound of people falling off their chairs. I really hope that you all are
delighted by this -- we've had a lot of fun getting this accomplished.)

Wow, talk about extremely awesome! I would have NEVER imagined TLC ever
doing this. It is a dream come true! : )

The set is complete, with all parts exactly as included in the original
release in 1986. Packaging will different (more like the LEGO Sculpture
packaging); the set will be issued as set #10000.

That is great, so people who own the original sets can say, yes, I have the
original one as well. Great idea! Don't spend money on packaging, the set is
enough!!!!!

To answer in advance a couple of questions which I suspect may arise: LEGO
Legends are different from the "classic" reissues which were announced a
couple of weeks ago. Those classics are not intended to be a long-running
series, whereas LEGO Legends is. The classics are limited to reissues of
very recent product, whereas LEGO Legends may reach back much farther (hey,
we've gone back 15 years for the first one, right?). LEGO Legends will not
be issued frequently -- likely only a few times each year. But you can be
certain that the sets which will appear in this series will be the very best
that LEGO has produced. And yes, I can assure you that The Guarded Inn is
only the first in the line.

Excellent. I really hope that this is profitable for you, and that as time
goes on this will be a continual thing. I am sure all of us AFOL's who are
either Space, Train, Castle, or TECHNIC would love to see various sets come
out. Are you going to have some polling done on what sets will be available,
from either the Classic or Legends line? Is that how the Guarded Inn was picked?

The Guarded Inn is only one of what will be a very active LEGO Direct
exclusive product assortment -- you've already had a taste of what is to
come with our trains and the Sopwith Camel. There will be much more. So (I
hear you ask), "what *is* coming???"

Well, for that, you'll just have to wait...
for the *August* Surprise.

EVIL, Brad. Simply EVIL! ; )

Let me just say as a fan of LEGO Prodcts for 21 years now, and who has
watched the interesting moves of TLC over the last few years, outside of the
bulk bricks and the new direction that seems to be taking, I think his is
one of the greatest things I have ever seen. Great job, Brad, I think this
is outstanding! Thank you so much!

Scott "Dreaming of Futuron, Blacktron, Monrail sets coming back" S.