 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2288
Re: Still time to enter the LEGO Train Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:53:13 GMT

"David K. Z. Harris" wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee wrote to remind us of the Train
Contest. While I applaud that LEGO has chosen to recognize the
Train enthusiasts (including the "over 18" builders :-), I'm a bit
disappointed in the claus that forces the builders to give up all
rights to their design.

I wouldn't read too deeply into those clauses-- I'm sure it has to do
with lawyering more than anything else.

I was a train enthusiast before I started to build with LEGO, and
I was certainly inspired in my building by web pages posted by
other enthusiasts sharing their designs in photos and text. Later,
L-CAD was authored by James Jessiman, helped some users
actually post designs for models when they lacked the special
parts to actually build the models. And I was certainly inspired
in my train building by the websites of the early PNLTC members,
and other train folks. I've tried to return the favor (of sharing the
inspiration) by managing two LEGO websites, posting many
of my own pages and photos, and videotaping and photographing
our LEGO Users Group meetings (and sharing the tapes with
other LUGs).

  In short, I'm disappointed that the contest could not simply be
a recognition of train models, and maybe the top entries (or all
of the entries?) could be diplayed on a LEGO operated website
for the benefit of builders wrldwide (as a way to help simulate
other imaginations and creativity, versus taking the best entries
out of circulation).

Actually, are the contest and simple recognition mutually exclusive?  I
think you have a good idea in its own right, Zonk.

To those that enter, I'd encourage all of you to consider posting
your pictures for all of us to enjoy, if you aren't chosen as a winner
by LEGO. Maybe we could start a Brickshelf Gallery for pictures
of entries to the contest (and then remove any entries that LEGO
identifies as the winners in certain categories).

Another good idea.  Despite all of the hoopla about giving up rights,
etc, I will still be entering some models, as will my kids.  This stuff
is for *fun*!

I'm also glad that LEGO hosted the first Train Summitt, and I'm
waiting to see the next LEGO catalog,  hoping to see the news
that has been hinted at, but not yet discussed in public. (I'm
also looking forward to seeing more train parts in bulk, and
I'm, anxious to see them listed in the LEGO Direct bulk pages
someday as well.)

Amen to that.

-John

       -Z-      http://www.baylug.org/zonker/