 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2053
2052  |  2054
Subject:
Web vs. Catalog product selection (was: Brown Bulk Bricks are in!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:02:12 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
Great news! We have received limited quantities of the brown bulk bricks • <clip>
At this point, the brown bulks aren't live on the web site, but they will be
soon.

Dear Jake and LEGO Direct,
Updates are as always appreciated. However, I'm curious why the brown bricks
are "live" in the spring paper catalog and not "live" on the web site yet.

Having been in the catalog business, I know that catalogs preparation begins
months before they are expected to hit the customers' mailboxes.  This means
that someone at LEGO Direct knows what new items will be in the catalogs
months before they are mailed.  Now, I understand that TLC has, in general,
a closed-lip policy on prereleasing new product info, but once the catalogs
begin to roll out, the web site should be updated with those new product.

Are you not listing them because you are afraid you won't be able to fill
the orders immediately? Anytime a new product is released there is the
potential for backorders as manufacturing gears up to meet the demand, which
obviously may fall below or exceed expectations.  I think most consumers
understand this and are willing to accept a brief backorder period while the
product is preparing to ship. This is especially true if it is presented to
them as "preordering."

Once the catalogs begin to be mailed, at the latest, the products should be
listed on the web site with the ability to be ordered. Why are they not? Is
this a conscious decision of LEGO Direct management, or is it merely a
breakdown in communication and a lack of sharing timetables between the web
and catalog departments of LEGO Direct's Shop at Home Service?

Any comments on this subject would be appreciated.

BEN GATRELLE
(remove the spam dot from the yellowcastle to reply)