 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1954
1953  |  1955
Subject:
Is there a "Bottleneck in Billund"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:44:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Is there a bottleneck in Billund?  No I don't mean problems in bulks
sales, what I mean is "rare colors".

I recently talked to someone (unnamed) who was visiting LEGOLAND in
Billund, and got to meet with some folks at the company.  I was informed
that someone (mid-level management) in Billund is in command of what
items will be released and in what colors.  And no matter what someone
wants in a new set, if it is not on the list of approved colors for that
specific part, then it may not be created (unless approved by this
mid-level manager).

That might explain why we have seen lots and lots of sets with large
black and gray windows, but ZERO small 1x2x2 windows in black or gray
for the last 20 years! (not since they were release only sparingly in
train sets in the 1970's and 1980's).

From what I understand, the LEGOLAND model shops have unlimited
availability of parts in rare colors.  But the model builders of store
display models, and the model builders of new set prototypes have to
work with what colors are approved for production.

Anyone from LD want to comment (or at the very least say that it is
proprietary information)??  If this is true, then you folks at LD have
an even harder obstacle to overcome for getting us rare color parts bulk
sales...............  namely the "Billund Bureaucracy".

Gary Istok