 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1886
1885  |  1887
Subject:
Praise for LEGO Comic Builder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 01:51:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Those at LEGO Direct,

I downloaded the LEGO Comic Builder from the Adventures area on lego.com:
    http://www.lego.com/adventures/
There was a Mac version! :-D

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and extent of this free goodie! I
quickly created my own colorful cartoon story (now on my refrigerator) starring
super-cats in space!  :-)  I think the program's creative building experience
relates nicely to other LEGO toys. (There's much play potential and no "wrong
answers" as I sometimes see in LEGO software.)

I remained amused by the Comic Builder much longer than expected. Planning a
story, writing my own text and making modifications along the way were absorbing
acts.

As for critique, only a bit:

I wish there were a way to import my own graphics. Perhaps if I use ResEdit?

I find the starting of new documents to be a non intuitive process. Even when I
went back later, relaunching the program, I had already forgotten how to work
it.. Perhaps the procedure was not obvious because, after selecting an author
icon, I was sent to a very similar page with no instruction on how to proceed.

The bottom edge "trigger" for the pop-up selections menu goes off by accident a
lot as I'm mousing around (it may be better if less sensitive through a delay).
It's also difficult to send the menu back down, like for when I want to work in
the underlying area.

I must confess, a lack of LEGO-ness in the graphics made me wonder if the
application was pre-existing, just modified by LEGO Direct through adding
minifig characters. But even if that is the case, I'm still delighted to have
this. Many details of the Comic Building experience felt magical -- the "higher
equals smaller" perspective trick for example.

So. I know I'm not in its target audience, but thanks for making this activity
toy available for download.

(My minifigs smile in your general direction.)

-Suzanne Rich
[No reply expected]