 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1781
Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:22:27 GMT

Maggie Cambron wrote in message ...
My sister-in-law requested I get my 5 year old niece some girl's LEGO, and • she
didn't want what she called "the cheesy Belville stuff" (not my opinion • BTW).
I couldn't bring myself to waste one of my Poolside Paradise sets on a five
year old, so I ended up giving her Playmobil.  But I do have to say, I • remember
when the Paradisa sets were out in the stores (circa 1992-95), and they • really
didn't sell well.  I ended up getting my 6411's and 6416's from • MacFrugal's.
And I picked up several 4151 and 4161 girls' Freestyle sets on clearance at
Walmart.  So there is a reason LEGO isn't putting out many sets aimed at
girls-- while WE may buy them, the fact is, most people won't.

But then this brings up the pink bricks issue, not all girls are fans of
pink. I would be happy with some non-violent sets that have a theme girls
can relate to.  I have to admit that there are very few sets I am unable to
find on clearance, so I don't know how much of an indicator this is. Now
when sets are on clearance, for 75% off and they still set on the shelf, I
do believe this is an indication.

Rose