 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1715
1714  |  1716
Subject:
shop.lego.com search box URL bug report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:18:32 GMT

This isn't a particularly heinous bug, but it's possible that it may actually
cause problems in certain situations...older browsers and proxies that encode
stuff and things like that...

The bug:

If I go to <http://shop.lego.com/> and pick my country, and then in the box
labeled "Item Number Search," if I type in a set number like, say, 6977, and
hit "Go," then the URL that comes back contains characters that aren't part
of the official IETF URL/URI specification.  For example,

http://shop.lego.com/Item_Number_Search.asp?numsearc=6977

redirects me to:

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?id={672BE9ED-D9C2-4E66-BFDC-7898EC476C67}

but should instead be redirecting me to:

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?id=%7B672BE9ED-D9C2-4E66-BFDC-7898EC476C67%7D

Note that the { and } characters are deemed to be "unwise" in URLs by
RFC 2396 (see section 2.4.3):

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

The reason I call this a "bug report" is because, even though { and } will
often work fine with most browsers, it's clear that steps were taken on
pages elsewhere at shop.lego.com to explicitly %XX-encode the { and }
characters, which means that it was probably accidentally overlooked here.
Note that the links in the "look at these" section on the 6977 Celestial
Stinger page use %XX-encoded {'s and }'s.  (Note: they also use %XX-encoded
-'s, which is unnecessary and makes the URL more than 80 characters, but
that's not really a bug so much as an annoyance.)

OK, that's all...

--Todd Lehman