 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1398
Re: GoB Designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:12:27 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lester Witter writes:

I have been follwoing the discussion about TLG's announcement
regarding "design your own" set and the sub-discussion about GoB designs
and the possibility of people copying them. This is a suggestion to the
GoB designers.

I think that your group produces some of the best designs I have seen.
These are designs that I would like to try for myself. This new LEGO
service may make this more affordable. My suggestion to the GoB designers
is to consider publishing you designs. I mean allow someone to buy a
printed, copyrighted copy of your designs. People could build for their
own use the models. The new TLG service would allow them to get the parts.

Selling your designs this way rather than as complete kits would increase
your number of sales and reduce your overhead. Scanning your designs off
the books and putting them on the net would be a copyright violation. I
would pay in the range of ~$20 for some of the more complicated designs.
I would also buy designs even if I was not planning to build them.

You might also consider puting together a collection of designs as a
book or do a design and techniques book (The RCX experts did). A good
how to book would be very useful especially if it helped kids to learn
how to use LEGOs.

Thank you very much for your input!

This topic is being discussed in detail, and we're considering all options.
Some members have already discussed plans to do so, some are not sure about
it. It's too early to evaluate what the effect of TLC annoucements are going
to be yet. For right now we are going to continue to develop new and
exciting designs and release them as custom kits to the collector
marketplace... stay tuned, the best is yet to come!

These potential changes are very exciting and we're all eager to learn more,
and more importantly, to participate, with TLC and with others in the AFOL
community, in shaping the direction of them.

Larry Pieniazek, Bricksmith
(acting in capacity as offical spokesman, for this one post only)