 LEGO Company / Pitsco-LEGO Dacta / 15
14  |  16
Subject:
Robotics, Technic, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.dacta
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:08:31 GMT

Maybe THIS is a better forum.........

Dear PITSCO,
You may wish to reference the "Bulk Technic Tubs" line under "Dear Lego" for
some background.

I teach a number of "enrichment" courses at my sons' elementary school,
through scouts and elsewhere using both DACTA and Midstorms sets.  It has
taken me substantial time and effort to accummulate a stockpile of parts and
sets that I use in these courses.  Some I have bought direct from PITSCO,
others through retail outlets, others through the secondary market - eBay,
Brickbay, etc.

From my point of view (and many others it would seem) LEGO seems to have
forsaken the "traditional" TECHNIC line and seems to be mis-marketing the
Mindstorms line.

Regarding Mindstorms -

I've been teaching a Lego Robotics Course using the MicroScout, Scout and
RCX sets - in a progression.  The microscout lends itself to a "beginner"
construction course.  It is a simple introduction to Lego robotics
construction.  In addition, I use the Microscout units with a machines
course.  They are perfect to use in constructing simple motorized cars.
Lessons about gearing, pulleys, friction and wheels are all easily
illustrated by building simple vehicles that readily repeat standard
behavior.  Use program 1 to show which car goes the farthest, the
shortest......etc.

The Scout (Robotics Development Set) - which now unfortunately seems to have
disappeared from the LEGO catalog was a favorite with our Middle School Tech
teacher.  It provided a good entry/intermediate level Robotics construction
set - one where the focus was on construction.  The kids did not get hung up
on programming - they built things that worked.  After this experience, they
moved on to the RCX based robots and ROBOLAB.

Unfortunately NEITHER of these units was ever marketed to the educational
market.  The Middle School Tech teacher was stymied in attempts to find a
vendor willing to take a PO to buy RDS sets.

I have put together "component kits" that work with any of the intelligent
bricks.  They are color coded - with all plates, beams and where possible
wheels one color - red, blue, yellow, white, black, grey, green.  It has
been a bear to put these sets together - getting parts here and there, but
worth it.  The Tech teachers at the Middle School thought this was a
"brilliant" concept (for clean-up and to keep parts within groups - no
"borrowing").

I think this would be a natural for PITSCO - tubs of Technic parts in a
dozen colors.  Either a uniform selection of a WIDE range of parts (ALL
beams, plates, some wheels, etc) in ALL colors in each tub - OR a tub with
components that are all ONE color.   I concede that some colors might move
slower than others, but - from my experience, an even dozen colors would
provide a perfect selection:

RED, BLUE, YELLOW, BLACK        relatively common now
WHITE, LT. GREY, GREEN, DK. GREY      varying rarity
TURQUOISE, ORANGE, PURPLE, BROWN       rare to non-existent

Others seem equally enthralled with the concept.  A production run of beams
and plates, changing only color feedstock and a packaging run could hardly
be that expensive to LEGO.

I have to say though........if you want to sell more - don't be quite so
greedy.  Your prices tend to be higher than Lego's SAH on similar items.
You'd have a far larger potential market if you didn't assume all buyers
were school districts that HAVE to deal with you.  I know that the eLab sets
and such would find a great market in the high end educational toy market.
Think about it - a PITSCO "Learn at home" catalog.

And by the way, my wife is an EVP in Marketing who's been responsible for a
number of products that have achieved dramatic success - in one case, having
become culturally "iconic."   Different product area but she knows her
business.  She can't understand why Lego ISN'T doing something like
this.......low production/packaging cost - wide potential applications.
AND by exposing kids to TECHNIC and MINDSTORMS in SCHOOL, they create
customers who want to buy these products at home.  I know there has been a
substantial fallout in parent gift purchases from the classes I've taught.

Just to illustrate a level of seriousness here (and frankly, my purchases
directly from PITSCO are but a small part of my total), I have:

DACTA
Classroom sets for 1)Levers, 2)Gears and 3)Pulleys
a number of large sets - energyLab, Machines, Pneumatics, plus many, many
components.  ROBOLAB, Designer and other software.

Mindstorms
12 Droid sets, 12 Darkside Dev. Sets, 10 RDS sets, 12 RIS sets.  I've lost
count on the add-on sets, figure 6 vision, a bunch of Robosports, Extreme
Creatures, Accessories, Ultimate Builders and a few Mars (VERY cool concept
but the cable to the camera is a pain).  Another 14 Droid and Darkside sets
- along with 3 RDS sets have gone to the Middle School as gifts.

Thirty (30) 12"x18"x3" storage trays filled with Technic components. I
expect that I also have over 60 geared motors (TLC killed the market there
by dumping ZNAP sets).

I won't even speculate on the extent of the "normal" Legos (a few 12 gallon
tubs worth) that cover the floor in my kids' rooms and playroom.

Frankly, I'm better equipped than the Middle School - in part because I CAN
buy sets whenever and wherever - unencumbered by Purchase Order
restrictions.  ANd if I stumble over a real bargain.......wahoo! (hence the
60 motors)

I don't know what PITSCO's limitations are in their contractual agreement
with LEGO, but there IS a much larger market out there.