 LEGO Company / 474
Re: Trademark issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:32:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Eric Brok writes:
In the LEGO annual report 2002 I noticed a mentioning of Kirkbi company, to
which LEGO company has to pay a considerable annual fee for trademarking.

When I googled it, I noted Kirkbi didn't present itself on the web. But
economical and law suit reports showed that Kirkbi is the private investment
company of the Christiansen family.
And besides investing in very different areas from LEGO (e.g. hardware
industry and Modulex), it also appears to be owner of LEGO's trademarks and
acts on that behalf in trademark law suits.

But one of the most interesting things I came across, was an online training
for a trademark search engine. Concidentally it uses the LEGO trademarks as
a very surprising example.

http://training.dialog.com/onlinecourses/trademarks/

It's funny to see how the author of the course seems to mistake to the
LEGOLAND sets logo from the nineteen-seventies for the current LEGOLAND
themes parks logo.

That's just the Goods portion of the trademark.  It also covers the
Amusement Park design as included Service portion of the trademark.  The
author seems to me to be correct in using this example.  Neat how he chose
that example, though.

Ed