 LEGO Company / 3523
Re: LEGO Ambassadors Cycle 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:52:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.lego.announce, Jake McKee wrote:
   It’s with great pleasure I announce the next cycle of the LEGO Ambassadors. There were a great number of applications, with almost all of the current Ambassadors re-applying. The application pool spanned the globe, and were chocked full of personal factoids, event recaps, hilarious stories, and other LEGO Moments.

Thanks very much to everyone who submitted an application. The field was incredible this time, and decisions were tough. Reading about all that is happening in the community reminded me how amazing this community is.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Team

This time around, are the ambassadors going to be given anything to communicate back to the communities they’ve been picked from?

It seems that the first round were all immediately given NDAs to sign, preventing them from divulging any information whatsoever.

Well being an ambassador I want to try and shed some light on this. First we do have to sign an NDA. This is understandable given the fact that LEGO doesn’t want information being leaked before a product gets to market.

With that said does the NDA completely limit us from divulging anything we discuss as an ambassador? No. We are asked to use our best judgement, sure many of us will err on the side of caution but on a few locations I specifically asked if I could forward the discussion on to my local LUG. In each case I was given the OK to forward the info.

In some cases we are reminded of our NDA before being given information. For example the Sand Crawler was a case where we were asked specifically not to talk about it. Also given that we were a Beta Case in Cycle one I think Jake often was cautious about what he told us. The new train system is one example where even we were not given any information other than “There will be a major announcement at Brickfest”. Would I have prefered knowledge about that? Sure but they had a seperate group of AFOL’s involved with that which probably left the Ambassadors out. Going forward I expect Ambassadors to be given much more information as the trust level grows.

That doesn’t mean we can discuss anything with the community but the NDA doesn’t prevent us from discussing everything.

The ambassador program has been used as a great source of information on local communities of Lego fans, but it appears to have been a blatant one-way process, with nothing being given back to the community. That’s not what I understand by the term ‘ambassador’.

Again please allow for time for the Ambassador program to get its sea legs. We are just starting Cycle 2 and Cycle 1 was something of a BETA cycle.

If these people have been involved in the development of the Factory system, why is it left to a few ousiders to try and ‘hack’ the system to figure out how it works? Why wasn’t there an ambassador ready to explain it the day it opened?

We were not given inside technical information but we were asked to comment on the program in general. Maybe we (The Ambassadors) didn’t ask enough questions to gain a look at the backend but we were never given that information.

I can understand the need to keep some secrets, such as the new train technology, but now the gist of it is public knowledge, why not have the ambassadors opening discussion to canvas opinion? You may or may not be reading the chatter in lugnet.trains - we don’t know - but surely it would be more productive to have an ambassador pooling appropriate opinions from their community?

I think this is happening in 2 types of “community”. If you are talking about the “Train” community or theme community, Jake has done a good job of spreading out the community in terms of their “Theme” preferance. Just off the top of my head Train, Town, Space, Castle, Bionicle, among other theme preferances are well represented. In terms of their local “community” or LUG/LTC their is very little overlap in that area and I expect as the Ambassador program grows the diversity will as well.

It seems as though the only incentive to being an ambassador is to get information before anyone else, even if it means you still have to keep everyone else in the dark. To me that just seems the wrong way to go about it.

Well you are right in that it is cool to know first but what good is it if you can’t discuss it? That takes that particular “thrill” out of being an ambassador and makes it so low on the “incentive” list that it is irrelevent in my mind. Being able to discuss product issues and community based issues and articulating fan thoughts directly to LEGO is what it is about. On a few occasions I have picked up on community discussions and brought that to the attention of the Ambassadors and the LEGO company. In some cases this has brought an issue into clearer view for the LEGO company which is good. That doesn’t mean they act on it yet but over time if we do our best then we should be able to gain some level of influance within the company it just takes paitence.

Eric Kingsley

Jason Railton