 LEGO Company / 3443
Re: LEGO Stores
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:34:48 GMT

(snip)

30 Million people in Michigan, Ohio and Ontario, and not one store......

Gary Istok
More figures:

2 Million (yes, TWO MILLION) people in Slovenia (Yes, we are small). • And not one LEGO store..... :) :) :) :)

Saso Tomat,
Slovenia

Well, I can't help you out much with store placement (I'm not involved with
that), and as for Europe--that's LEGO Europe, not Americas... you'd be suprised
how many people came to me at Brickfest and asked if they were getting a local
store. (BTW, you former PNTLCers will probably be happy by the end of the year,
and maybe BF PDX was 2 years to early ;)

As for Michigan, Ohio,and Ontario... well, some time ago, Erik Olson did a
really interesting quick study of metropolitan areas in relation to growth.
Definitely some stuff there to make you ponder...

I'm sure there are a number of factors involved in the decision, most of which,
I won't even fathom (I figure size, location, amount of rent, mall management
track record, supply chain distribution network, etc are just a part of it all).

Oh, and Ontario is getting a store--it's just not in Canada... It wouldn't
suprise me if there were associations with certain mall properties that helped
sway decisions and the like (pure speculation here), but look at the outlets:
Potomac Mills..
Discover Mills...
Colorado Mills...
new one coming to a Mills location...

coincidence?  maybe, just my observation.  I'll let that one get debated.

Scott