 LEGO Company / 3009
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 03:22:18 GMT

"Bill Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message news:I91w7E.1yL8@lugnet.com...
I think it's incredible that LEGO gives any attention to AFOL's at all. • Now you
want them to give special attention to the minority who are collectors? • You
don't ask much, do you?

Why is it incredible?

If LEGO was an airline, AFOLs would be the first class and business class
frequent flyers, who bring in the most money per mile (brick).  So LEGO
ignores AFOLs at its peril.

That isn't to say that ordinary customers don't matter -- they certainly
do -- but they have different, lower expectations, and are largely
indifferent about brands.  Take a typical soccer mom, for example; who's
picking up a tub of bricks at Wal-Mart for her kids for Christmas.  She
doesn't care much if it says LEGO or MegaBlok, and will probably buy
whatever's cheapest.  As long as the contents of the tub matches the
description, she's satisfied, and will never contact LEGO directly.  She
would be an airline's typical coach class passenger, who buys tickets from
Expedia.com and pick whatever airline has the lowest fare.