 LEGO Company / 2213
Re: Walmart no longer lists Lego!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:23:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Gray wrote:
"Mark Riley" <markril@hotmail.com> writes:

I definitely agree with the observation that Lego is getting less shelf space as
that matches my experience with my local Walmarts.

Its possible that Lego refuses to stuff in the RFID (Radio Frequency
IDentification) tags that Walmart has started requiring. Lego may agree
with the sentiment that RFID tags in consumer articles are a violation
of personal privacy. This might result in Walmart trying to put pressure
on Lego by giving Lego products less shelf space.

Note: all of the above is just one theory - I have no evidence to support it.

TLC already allows other retailers to use RFID on their products. The only issue
would be whether or not TLC is ready to be the one to actually apply it.

Besides, Wal-Mart is only requiring RFID tags at the case and pallet level IIRC.
The carton level phase isn't slated for implementation for some time yet.

-Duane