 LEGO Company / 219
  New plastic "rubber" tire substitutions

Having just picked up an 8241 "Battle Cars" kit for parts (wheels and gears), I was astounded to find plastic wheels in place of the usual plastic hub/rubber tire combination in the 30.4x14 size. Except for the hollow back, they look just like the (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: New plastic "rubber" tire substitutions

(...) So what looks like black 30.4x14 hubs with rubber tires on the picture is really a one piece molded plastic part with a hollow backside? This is really bad in my opinion. And to think that I was looking forward to the black hubs in this set. (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.technic)

  Re: New plastic "rubber" tire substitutions

(...) Yes, these are hollow 1 piece ABS wheels (32146). They first appeared last year in the 3057 Create 'n' Race set. I suspect the reason that they are in the 8241 set is cost. After all it would be hared to expect 8 real tires in a set that only (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.technic)

  Re: New plastic "rubber" tire substitutions

(...) ... (...) Thanks for the heads up; I was actually going to purchase this set specifically for the black wheels (without the tires); since they aren't seperated from the tires they're of little use to me. D'oh. I may still need black wheels (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.technic)

  Re: New plastic "rubber" tire substitutions

Come on, give TLC designers *some* credit. The plastic wheels are not the result of cheaping or dumbing down. They are functionally deployed to allow for sliding sideways, such as when guided by a rail or during battle in your hands. Eric (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.lego)