 LEGO Company / 219
218  |  220
Subject:
New plastic "rubber" tire substitutions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 04:43:13 GMT

Having just picked up an 8241 "Battle Cars" kit for parts (wheels and
gears), I was astounded to find plastic wheels in place of the usual plastic
hub/rubber tire combination in the 30.4x14 size.  Except for the hollow
back, they look just like the usual combination.  This change is NOT obvious
from the box photos.  I am disappointed in the continuing simplification of
Technic kits.  I use DACTA, Technic, and Mindstorms materials to teach
"enrichment courses" at my sons elem. school and am always accumulating more
parts.

These tires are useless as drive wheels in powered cars.  I think TLC has
missed the boat in the "juniorization" campaign.  The kids in my courses are
excited, involved and thrilled to build complex "stuff." I'm in the awkward
position of telling parents that they can't get many of the parts I use
easily.  I suspect that TLC might really do well releasing "Master Builder"
technics kits with a reasonable selection of standard components - think
"Erector Sets" - a "car  builder" set with a selection of different wheels,
gears and components.  The DACTA ELab and pneumatics class sets are along
the right lines - though pricey.