 LEGO Company / 138
Re: Juniorization Manifesto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:04:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Andrew Lipson writes:
No doubt I'll be corrected, but Lego's basic patents have expired.
This is why we are now seeing so many compatible (?) clones on
the market.

Actually, I thought that back in the late 80's, when Tyco Super Blocks first
appeared. However, I've been told that the patent hadn't expired, and the
TLC entered into a big lawsuit against Tyco for patent infringement, with
Tyco winning in the end. However, that doesn't mean their patents haven't
expired by now...

But every special-purpose piece (particularly those
which let you do something you can't do with previous pieces) is
potentially the source of a new patent - and hence provides some
measure of market protection against TLG's competitors.

Huh-- didn't know that... Anyone out there know anything about the details
of TLC's patenting?

So if we want to persuade TLG not to produce whopping great big
special purpose pieces in Juniorized sets, it might help if we
could suggest alternative new (and preferably more general-purpose)
pieces which do not currently exist, which we would rather
see than the current offerings, and which TLG can get patented
before the cloners do (which might mean not producing them in this
public forum).

Comments anyone?

Good point... if Lego whips out a patent for each new piece, does MB, etc do
the same for their unique parts?

DaveE