 Inventories / 499
Re: Plate 2x6 in year 1966?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv, lugnet.parts
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 16:53:57 GMT

In lugnet.inv, Michael Heidemann wrote:
The Inventory for 112-2 on Peeron is wrong!
Please have a look at the inventory on Bricklink where it is correct.

As I own this set I can confirm that it has no Plate 2 x 6.
To see how it has to be build, look at my personal OMR on my webside
www.michael-heidemann.de

cu
mikeheide

Martin Srb schrieb:
In lugnet.inv, John Patterson wrote:
Aug 17

112-2 Locomotive with motor
3022 Old gray plate 2x2 should be 1 not two.

Missing from the inventory follows:
3795 plate 2x6 one old gray
<snip>

The plate 2x6 sounds very surprising to me. Maybe some brick historians can
answer this question.

1. Peeron says about the plate 2x6: 1966 gray in 112-2, 1967 white in 371-2,
then nine years nothing, 1977 in five colours. The database is not 100%
complete, but the 9-year gap is strange.

2. In the 112-2 and 371-2 instructions, the 2x6 is not clearly visible.
Combinations of 2x3 + 2x3 or 2x2 + 2x4 could be used instead. (In the 1977 sets
instructions the 2x6 is evident.)

3. Between 1966 and 1977 many sets use plates 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, although 2x6 would
be more suitable. For example: 113-2, 116-1, 119-1, 123-1, 131-1, 137-2,
182-1... see the roofs of the passenger cars and box cars. (I'm a rail fan.)

Were there really plates 2x6 in 1966/67, or maybe only protoypes?

Martin

Considering what I have in mine and what Gary writes I wonder if the 2x6 plate
could have been put in versions at the end of the set run to test it out or to
use some they may have produced.  Lego has done this several times.  They also
produced parts packs that were made of overstocked bricks.  Lego seems to have
had the old world sensibility of using up what they have.  I think back to one
of the first sets that I inventoried that were in the newer plastic and each had
2 slopes in the old easily warped plastic.  Two sets from two different sources
had the same out of date slopes.  Hopefully Mike does not get all that upset at
errors in Peeron's inventory or he will have a brakedown.  If nothing else, it
is good to see that other people are checking the inventories so that at some
point there will be a good reliable inventory available.
John P