 Inventories / 491
Re: Plate 2x6 in year 1966?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv, lugnet.parts
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:50:12 GMT

In lugnet.inv, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Wow,

What's funny is that John is purchasing some old plates from me right now, so
this discussion is rather Deja Vu!

John, does that gray plate have Pat. Pend. on the underside?

Of the mint plates you're getting from me 6 are of the 2x6 size WITH "Pat.
Pend."

Now 2 of those 6 are white.  But I have never owned the #371 Motorized Truck Set
(a USA Sears Catalog Exclusive Set).  So mine must have come from some other
set... but where?

I also have 4 mint blue 2x6 plates with "Pat. Pend.".  And I haven't a clue
where they originated from??  In Peeron they show as first production in blue in
the late 1970's.

The #331-#337 Truck sets which were introduced in 1967 all have 4x6 modified
plates (with the hole in the middle for a steering column) in either red, yellow
or blue (they also have a 5x6 plate with the same steering column hole of the
same colors).  And ironically in USA Samsonite #331-#337 sets the red and yellow
plates are made of Cellulose Acetate!!

Also the Samsonite only #310 Motorized Truck set (1968) also has the same red
and yellow Cellulose Acetate plates as found in the #331-#337.

Yes this is a very strange anomaly.  Looks like 4x6 was produced for a short
time in the late 60's, and then not again until the late 1970's.

More LEGO Mayhem!!

Cheers,
Gary Istok

Gary:

There is pat pend on the bottom.  I looked through my other old 2x6 plates and
none have the pat pend on them.  I would say that you are correct that it was
produced for a short time and then not produced for a number of years.
John P