 Inventories / 248
247  |  249
Subject:
peeron inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:30:41 GMT

I wrote awhile back complaining about the inventories at Peeron.  I am happy to
say that Clark has been taking my emails and correctingthe inventories and
adding the pictures of sets and parts that I have been sending.  I feel rather
sorry for him as I have sent around 250 e-mails since I began this project.
What I do is take their inventory and compare it with the parts listed with the
contents of my set (sometimes more than one.)  I then build the set and see what
is correct.  Then send Clark the corrections.  Most inventories are off by a few
pieces.  I remember someone writing and saying that the contents of the sets can
vary.  This is true to an extent.  What I have been finding is that most of the
inventories up to this point were done from the instructions.  That is a very
inaccurate way to do things in my opinon and can be off.  It is so easy to miss
things doing it this way.  Please do not get me wrong, I am awed by the work
that went into setting up and doing this great data base.  I think that only
when you do it set by set can one see the work that the original submitters went
to.  I have inventories a few of the sets from scratch and it is no easy task.
There are also differences from the pictures on the box and what is in the sets
and on the directions (some colors of small parts seem to change.)  Also I noted
that in the change over years pieces, for example brick 1x1 round with closed or
open tops, one set might have either new or old version of the bricks (also in
the 1x1 plates with vertical clip.)
Thanks to Clark posting the changes this inventory will be a bit more correct.
I know I am probably over whelming him with the additions.  I also use this data
base several times each day.  I figure that this will take between one and two
years to finish.  I am insuring that what I have in my collection is correct and
out of almost 7500 sets, 5000 or so have been opened, many of which were bought
off ebay.
Peeron is a great resource that has no equal.  It is easy to search and work
with.  Also it has people like Clark that care about Legos and do a lot of work
on this data base.
John P