 Inventories / 24
Re: LUGNET set guide now links to BrickLink set inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:19:50 GMT

In lugnet.inv, Simon Bennett writes:
Todd, before I start I must just thank you again for all the extra work you
are doing to Lugnet at the moment, we all appreciate it (and I'll be sending
you some more money soon to prove it!)

You're welcome and thank you.  :-)

Anyway, here's a suggestion which, if I've understood everything correctly,
could accelerate the submission of inventories:

Now Lugnet members set lists are linked to Peeron could the admins provide a
further bit of code which would alert Peeron members if they own a set that
has not been inventoried?

Peeron doesn't actually have any special access to private data on the
LUGNET server, which means that it doesn't have access to LUGNET members'
e-mail addresses (except in cases where people explicitly list their e-mail
address publicly on their member profile).

But certainly a periodic mailing directly from the LUGNET server to its
members could be done, as the LUGNET server knows e-mail addresses as well
as what sets people own and a list of sets [not] yet inventoried by Peeron
or BrickLink to compare the lists against.  I can probably whip up a message
like this pretty easily based on previous occasional mailing LUGNET has done.

Additionally, the LUGNET server knows which sets people have listed
privately in their "My Collection" listings on LUGNET.  These listings would
be more complete for the mailing to work from.
The only reason I've never inventoried a set is
that I never get new ones before anyone else and I don't fancy going through
the work only to find someone got there first.  This could hugely increase
the number of 'instructions' inventories submitted for older sets.

Ya, good idea!

BTW -have we any idea from TLC how many sets there have actually been and
therefore how many inventories are missing?

Good question!  I'm not aware of any official count, but *someone* must
know.  Hey, post a question to the LEGO Direct group and maybe someone at
LEGO knows or can find out.

--Todd