 Inventories / 209
Re: [ANN] New inventory tool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inv
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 02:57:21 GMT

In lugnet.inv, Dan Boger wrote:
On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:22:05PM +0000, Damien Guichard wrote:
Hi Dan and [Jennifer],

Still waiting your answer about converting the Peeron inventories to Peeroml
inventory code :(

Damien - I'm not sure what Peeroml is?  Is that part of your program?
Perhaps you could post some more information on it?

Meanwhile i am in the process of manually converting "classic space"
sets for usage by Peeroml, a rather painfull work.  Doing so i
discover some inconsistencies in Peeron inventories.

Spy-Bot http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/1498-1
Is said to have 60 pieces but Peeroml finds 66 as a total.

Twin Starfire http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/1499-1
Is said to have 85 pieces but Peeroml finds 91 as a total.

Seems there is no relation between total pieces and the set inventory.
Quite strange...

The total pieces information is usually what LEGO prints on the set
boxes.  LEGO has an odd way of counting what's a part - for instance, a
minifig torso, arms, hands and head are usually counted as one part -
Peeron sees them as two, Bricklink sees them as 7, I think?  Similar
issues occure with hinges and other "combined" parts.

Hello Dan and Jennifer,

Damien - I'm not sure what Peeroml is.

Well, not really surprising, Peeroml ressembles nothing you have seen in the
AFOL world.

Peeroml is the same as Peeron inventories but using a computer notation rather
than a human-friendly notation. The benefits are you can compute anything you
want from the database, such as:
* sorting sets by date or number of pieces or number of red bricks...
* test if a MOC is an alternate model
* test if a MOC is a combo of two other MOCs
* given a MOC, compute a list of official sets that provide the needed bricks,
plus the list of extra parts you get
* by default Peeroml is color-sensitive, but that can be easily altered

Peeroml is user-programmable. That means if a query or function you need is not
included, you can program it yourself in a simple language, in typically no more
than 3 lines of code.

Peeroml is available here, source and docs included:

Zipped file: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/downloads/Peeroml.zip
Auto-exe file: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/downloads/Peeroml.exe

The best way to experience Peeroml is to install OCaml and to paste all code
excerpts in the Peeroml doc.

As soon as the tool will be mature enough i plan to remove it from my site and
make it downloadable only via www.peeron.com as Peeron is where eventual users
expect it to be.

The total pieces information is usually what LEGO
prints on the set boxes.

No problem, Peeroml only trusts is own computations, that is the inventory
total. Peeroml does other consistency checks, for example a "bonus pack"
inventory must equal the union of its seperate sets. But if it doesn't i won't
bother you, i will just correct what i need to (unless you prefer to be noticed
for any error).

Considerations,

- damien

my lego web page: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/