 Instructions / 649
Re: Anyone have instructions for set #309 (Church)?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:24:23 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.inst, Thomas Eipp wrote:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford wrote:
I was looking for something on Peeron today and quite by accident stumbled upon
this set:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/309_2

Unfortunately, there are no instructions linked from Brickshelf.

The design of the building struck me as interesting, especially when I saw the
piece count for the 1x2 white bricks.  From what I can make out in the LUGNET
picture it's almost as though they've used the 1x2's in a very 'brick-like'
manner.  In other words it looks like the walls were built with very small
units, just like a real wall, as opposed to using longer stretcher bricks (1x6's
or 1x8's) that might have been more common in some of the LEGOland sets in the
70's.

This set was produced from 1957 (when classic Lego windows first came out) until
about 1963.

Gary, the Ultimate LEGO Book indicates it was 1958 that bricks with tubes first
appeared.  I had always been under the impression that was the generally
accepted date, based on when the patent was sought for the tube mechanism.  Is
it correct though to believe that parts with tubes were actually being released
in 1957?  Probably a nit-picky question, but something I've often wondered
about.

The set had one tree, one of the 1950's style flat Pine trees with
a flat bottom.  One interesting thing is the named beam (sign).  On the box it
shows "1762", while in the set the 1x6 named beam says "Anno 1762".  This
anomaly is common in early Lego sets.  1x6 named beams are known to exist with
both "1762" and "Anno 1762" variations.

Would it possibly be related to the lead time needed to produce the box art,
versus the development of the set and its required parts?

Check out the website of the German collector that has this set.  One of the
photos shows the set assembled.  Notice the warped Cellulose Acetate bricks and
how the finished building looks rather disappointing because of it.

These early sets get discussed at length in my new CD/Book, as does the
cautionary topic of buying Cellulose Acetate sets.

It's an interesting page.  Something else struck me as I was looking at his
version of instructions for this set.  It would appear that they create the
feeling of a larger baseplate by simply using smaller plates on which the
building sits, but that do not cover the entire area under the church.  Nice
technique.  But it's the plates themselves that make me curious.  If that church
was available in 1957/58 and this bulk pack was also released around that time:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/227

Then why does the Ultimate LEGO Book list 1962 as the appearance of the "first
1/3 element". - page 15.  Again, I know it's nit-picky but in this case it seems
to be a difference of 4 or 5 years.  I'm interested to know if you have further
details on this little chronological conundrum.  :)

Best regards,
Allan B.