 Instructions / 648
Re: Anyone have instructions for set #309 (Church)?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 06:29:14 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Thomas Eipp wrote:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford wrote:
I was looking for something on Peeron today and quite by accident stumbled upon
this set:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/309_2

Unfortunately, there are no instructions linked from Brickshelf.

The design of the building struck me as interesting, especially when I saw the
piece count for the 1x2 white bricks.  From what I can make out in the LUGNET
picture it's almost as though they've used the 1x2's in a very 'brick-like'
manner.  In other words it looks like the walls were built with very small
units, just like a real wall, as opposed to using longer stretcher bricks (1x6's
or 1x8's) that might have been more common in some of the LEGOland sets in the
70's.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone happened to have the instructions for this
set that they might be willing to scan and share.  Or, perhaps someone can point
me at instructions for a building that uses a similar construction technique.

Thanks in advance,
Allan B.

Hay Allen

I did a search on google and found thus site. May be what you are looking for.

http://www.kleinesteine.de/info/309/

Scroll down to bottom and find link to instructions they did, plus some history
on the set.

Cheers

Thomas Eipp

This set was produced from 1957 (when classic Lego windows first came out) until
about 1963.  The set had one tree, one of the 1950's style flat Pine trees with
a flat bottom.  One interesting thing is the named beam (sign).  On the box it
shows "1762", while in the set the 1x6 named beam says "Anno 1762".  This
anomaly is common in early Lego sets.  1x6 named beams are known to exist with
both "1762" and "Anno 1762" variations.

This set was one of the Town Plan sets (1957-65), before there even was a
complete Town Plan set (#810 in Europe/#725 in USA/Canada, 1960-66).  It was a
companion set to: #306 "VW Showroom", #307 "VW Repair Shop", #308 Fire Station,
and #310 "Esso Service".  None of these sets were ever sold in the USA or
Canada, except of course for the #725 Town Plan set.

Check out the website of the German collector that has this set.  One of the
photos shows the set assembled.  Notice the warped Cellulose Acetate bricks and
how the finished building looks rather disappointing because of it.

These early sets get discussed at length in my new CD/Book, as does the
cautionary topic of buying Cellulose Acetate sets.

Gary Istok