 Instructions / 258
Re: instruction approaches
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:57:30 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Steve Barile writes:
An interesting philosophical question about instruction approaches...

Does anyone have any thoughts on or examples of instructions that are
organized in a hierarchy as opposed to linearly? Where an instruction
hierarchy would start with the building of a certain number of sub models,
in some cases multiple copies of each, and then a final assembly. A model
could easily have more then just two levels as well. As opposed to the
"normal" from the ground-up approach.

My style is to do most of the building (and therefore most of the steps) in
sub-models and then merge the sub-assemblies into the final assembly in a
few steps in the top level file.

I use as many levels of sub-models as is necessary. I never thought to limit
myself to 2.

The model I'm working on now is made of 15 major sub-assemblies.  The 15
things fall into one of 9 part types.  There are 22 sub-models in the MPD.
I think it is only three levels deep (including the top level file) at the
deepest.

It also has 75 pneumatic tubes, 19 electric cables and 16 rubber bands.
Never could have done it without lsynth.  I did a little tuning in lsynth,
and the synthesized MPD file is 10 megabytes (down from 20).

I find that the sub models of things like train trucks are very natural to
conceive. When I took this approach to its logical conclusion and applied it
so that where models are repetitive they are broken down in to component sub
models, the instruction flow gets funky and forces a different approach.

An example is:
where each panel, including the coach ends, is a sub model in the .mpd file.

This organization makes perfect sense to me:  make each of the walls, the
ceiling, and the base first, then assemble them together at the end.

I tend to build models from back to the front, and from the ground up, at
least at the sub-model levels.

If you happen to pick up Miguel and my Power Tools book, you can my modular
final assembly approach in the chapter that contains my RCX based AT-ST biped.

SteveB

Kevin