 Harry Potter / 790
789  |  791
Subject:
HP Set reviews....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:29:39 GMT

Whoo Hooo!! My Lugnet account is fixed so I can post again!  Three days ago I
picked up four of the sets from Walmart.  I got Hogwarts Express #4708,
Hagrid's Hut #4707, Snape's Class #4705, and Diagon  Alley Shops #4723.  They
didn't have the castle either and I really want that set!

My feelings:

Hogwarts Express.  Nice.  However the wheels and trucks have to go, as we all
know.  Adding real wheels and an engine block to this set  really adds to the
price.  Curious as to why no doors in the passenger cars (or real seats) and
why on earth many of the little plates inside  the steam chamber on the engine
are all different weird colors.  And what's with making the steam engine tank
so that there is a hinge all along one side and the whole thing swings open is
kinda weird. But they show in the directions that you hide stuff in there like
the treasure chest.  Why would you want to hide a treasure chest inside a train
engine is of course beyond me.  Also there is this weird spring (I forget part
name now probably technic) that is supposed to eject the treasure chest or
something if you press on it.  I tried it several times and it didn't work.
Why again you'd want to eject a treasure chest hidden in a train engine, via a
spring, is again beyond me!  And I did read all the books!  :-)

And making the passenger car have a opening halfway down the walls is weird.
Instead of just taking off the roof to get at the minifigs inside, almost the
whole car lifts up. I do like the Hogwarts station platform.  Thats a great
design and good  parts.  I did have two missing parts in my Hogwarts set.
Right from  the front and center of the engine too..... :-(

Hagrids Hut. Biggest disappointment to me.  Some nice pieces in the  set, will
be great for parts.  But who on earth came up with that roof???  I spent who
knows how much time dinking around with that roof trying to get it to go on the
way it is supposed to.  And  held together with a rubber band??? Please!  Who
thought that up?  Of  course it was midnight so maybe that had something to do
with all my  troubles puttting the roof together ;-) Still, its my opinion that
the roof is a major mistake.  Especially the rubber band thingie.  It was nice
that they included three replacement rubber bands but I still see it as a
design mistake.  I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one  having trouble
putting that roof together.

The other two sets are neat as well. Great parts in awesome colors.  BUT whats
up with Snape's Head? I exposed it to bright light, and YES mine did glow in
the dark afterwards.  Why on earth did they do this?  Hello? Did someone at
Lego read the books wrong?  Snape is a regular old wizard just like the rest of
them (well okay, he's evil but that's not the point) and he certainly does not
have a glow in the dark head in the books!  Just not getting Legos point here
as to why they decided to make it glow in the dark.

Animals:  Most are pretty cool from these sets but I don't like the design of
the owls.  The big bottoms on them really look weird.  The toad is the cutest
and it has a hole in the bottom so it can be attached to a brick.  Don't
understand why the owls couldn't have been designed the same way (they do have
a hole but why so big of a bottom?).  Both the white cat and the frog (toad
actually) are much more detailed than the owls and they are smaller.  And its
interesting that all the rats in the sets are actually larger than the white
cat...  Now that's one cat with a complex!  I can see these rats getting some
revenge on Mr. White Kitty! :-)

Otherwise I really like these sets, great parts for parting out! Can't wait to
get the castle.

Just my opinions,

Katie