 Harry Potter / 509
Re: Harry Potter Lego - my feelings and verdict....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:39:09 GMT

I thought I would chime in as well. See coments mixed in with the previous post
.

In lugnet.harrypotter, Darth Joules writes:
Hola,

Thought I might share my veiws of the new Harry Potter Lego line, set by
set.  I got to say the entire line looks excellent and well thought out.
Good to see that Lego have returned to a modular system that allows all sets
to combine.  Lots of great new pieces...I'm so glad I have waited for HP
Lego before embarking on my major Castle MOCs.

4709 - Lots of castle wall segments in tan and the half cylinder wall with a
stone print.  Sand green slopes including a beville style tower.  That
wizard dude looks like he has a white turban (neat).  8 figures including
the giant. 4 of those new owls in 4 different colors.  The bad...a cloth
roof for the chapel(?), what a cop out.  I give it 9/10.

Castle people must love this set and boy is it going to be expensive. What do
you all think, $120 USD. I know the German price is 234.68 DM (any body know
what that will be in Euros? Don't forget they are switching which should mess
eBay and Brickbay up for a little while).

I'm excited by all of the new items like books, owls (1?), bats (2?), falcons
(3?), and unusual minifig characters like the gray faces, beards, and hair dos.
Is that boat smaller than previous boats? That should make priate fans happy.
It looks like some great castle elements too, although it only looks like one
"castle-wall-with-a-window-in-it" is present. Or is that just two vertical
bricks with printing on it? Also look at all of the arches, WOW! Also the new
colored castle tops should add some great elements to the talented and creative
castle community.

Anyway, I think this will be a definite hit across the LEGO community and there
will be lost of part potential here. Definitely a 9/10

4705 - Is it me or does the black witch(?) have a glow-in-the-dark head?
Has one of the new brown doors with a window.  Reasonable cross section of
brick colors.  But only 2 figures, not that too an exciting set. 7/10.

No the head only appears to be glow in the dark. Based on the illegal scans
that appeared on the Internet some weeks back (which I only looked at briefly
and quickly removed from my computer hard drive when I found out that they
shouldn't have been released yet ;^) ) she has a gray minifig head. I think the
element everyone will be talking about is the castle wall door. Is that printed
or molded? It's going to be an interesting departure for LEGO if its molded,
but reality makes me believe it will be printed. I see a lot of castle people
buying this set for the door and the arches. Gray element collectors will also
love it. The large dark gray baseplates and the 3 brick tall slopes I know are
popular. Not putting red, blue, or yellow castle walls down any, these Harry
Potter sets in general may provide for some impressive gray walled castle
structures (I know there have been some in gray, but the largest ones I have
seen always seem to be in other colors). Let's hope they make lots of these
sets.

The black culdron looks great. The printed "potion" piece is interesting, the
bottles are all minifig size and to scale? The sand green top will be
interesting with the 3 changes in slope and 4 corners. I like the set and I
think parts collectors will too, 8/10.

4707 - Looks cool from what I can see....has the giant and an old wizard in
mauve.  Good assortment of bricks.  The bad...another cloth roof?  I reckon
it is so 8/10 for this set.

I don't think that roof is cloth. Based on the illegal scans (which I only
looked at for a brief moment) I think they are paper or still cardboard. They
stand straight up in the photograph (photographers trick?) Four of the 8 pieces
appear to have a round one stud plate in them which I think allows you to
connet the pieces together to form the round structure seen in
http://www.brickmaster.de/Potter/. What I think is neat about this set is the
castle wall bricks and elements. Did LEGO produce 6 wide 5 high bricks before?
Well, this is cool if you don't mind that they aren't 5 1x6 bricks. And look at
the minifig guy with the black beard. Is he taller than other minifigs and is
he wearing shoes? Except for his arms he is probably an unposeable statue much
like the first (and oldest) minifigs.

I too like the set but think it would have been great if LEGO had created an
1/8 octagon slopped roof piece that would have meet the other 7 (1/8) pieces to
form an octagon roof. The floor pieces used in the set obvouisly accomodate
this coming together to form an 8 sided strucutre, and just think of all the
things that could have been done. Unfortunately, they went with paper. This set
is the weakest link! 6/10.

4708 - That's a really nice train even though I'm not into train Lego.
Contains that curvy duplo sign post in red andn quite a few figures.  Really
good stuff here and I don't think I can fault this set. 10/10.

OH! and ARGH! When I think of the lost potential. Imagine a new train set that
had real train wheels and not flat wheels like seen here. I know, I know,
everyone in trains is going to stick real wheels on it an the problem is
solved. But has anyone noticed that the passenger car has no doors. (Don't even
try to tell me they are on the other side, I know marketing too well). Is that
even a magnetic coupler? This set has great parts potential it just falls short
of even resembling a real train. Were the designers tired when they got to this
set. It probably had to meet a price point. The true value in this set is the
lamp posts and the sign. Even if you soley into trains and not into Harry
Potter this set will be prized for the lamp post. There are also a couple more
6 wide 5 high bricks in gray. I give this set a 5/10.

4701 - Excuse me but this set is kinda whack.  You pay $8 for one figure and
a twirling fartknocker device....sorry this set gets 2/10.

Does the minigif spin when you spin the fartknocker? (What is a fartknocker and
how many children will be in trouble in school this fall and winter for running
around calling everyone fartknockers? Man O' Man don't these writers ever think
about the trouble they can get children into?) If $8 USD is the price for this
set I think there are going to be quite a few left on the shelves. Can anyone
say Sith Infiltrator? I agree with the assessment 2/10.

4706 - Three headed dog...and he's a big bow-wow, kewl!!!  Has the three
student characters, spiral stair case, plants, lottsa bricks....really nice
set. 10/10.

Does every set have a Harry Potter in it? Won't that beat out the Star Wars set
record for the most number of one character you can get by purchasing one of
every set?

No matter! This set will be a hit! I predict lots of demand for those stairs.
The illegal scans made the stairs look disjointed (i.e. there was an over lap).
Lots of great pieces and in gray too. Are those real bricks? Did they actually
build a pillar with 2x2 of on brick height? COOL! Unless, of course, you were
hoping for 2x2 5 high bricks. Hey, and another of those 3 different slope top
pieces in sand green. Sort of looks like a cool cabanna top.

And how about that dog! It must be giving the product and plastic forming
engineers fits! Are those mouths open on all three? Man I know that's rough to
form. I think this set will be gone from the shelves faster than any other.
9/10.

4702 - Kinda like 4705 but half the size  and half the price.  Cool wizard
in purple and some kinda painting on a panel.  Pretty neat 8/10 cuz of the
purple wizard.

The purple turbine is definitely cools and the painting on the wall will
definitely be sought after (murals over fire places, etc.). Another sand green
3 sloped 4 cornerd top that looks kind of like its thatched. 8/10 for sure.

4704 - Again kinda similar to 4705 but fewer bricks.  Actually it seems very
similar and what the hell is that what mini-fig, a ghost?  Not as exciting
as 4705 so 6/10

I think the white minifig torso ontop of one brick or two 1x2 bricks is the
good witch, right? There appears to be a new element sticking out of the head.
The cool part about this set is the door element in the corner. Lots of 1x2 5
high bricks in tan, right? Some interesting elements on the wall above the
spider's web. (New record by the way, this makes the most number of spider webs
in any theme of sets ever. Don't they ever clean this castle?) I like the set
7/10.

I am hoping each of the sets come togehter to form a great big castle complex.
That would be cool!

I will also comment on set 4721, 4722, and 4723. I think these sets are going
to be great for all of the little pieces you can stick in minifig hands; books,
cups, saucers, gems, etc. I think the post elements in 4723 are gonig to make
this a much sought after set. There's a new style chair in 4722. This had a lot
of potential to add to our living rooms out there, but the furniture
manufacture need to come out with more fabric and color selections. Orange is
just not a good decorating idea (unless your a volunteer (inside joke for TN
fans)). In 4722 that's a bed right, with a cover over the bed frame? Cool!
Again its in orange, but maybe the mold will be good for a few more colors.
(And speaking on the orange thing, what happened over at the factory. No orange
for decades, then a dable in it for October themed halloween bucket and a few
orange pieces for Star Wars. Suddenly they have two different (or more) orange
colors and everything new is molded in it. Either the Harry Potter book author
loves the color or the recent price hikes on petroleum left LEGO with no other
color selection ;^) my humble laugh).

The backdrop cards in these sets is interesting. These are the classrooms and
rooms of the movie, right? (as depicted in the book)? Well, I guess I will have
to go see the movie. I give the sets 8/10.

Hey, what do you think?

Todd