 Harry Potter / 378
Re: True Harry Potter Pics...and I feel sick!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:43:03 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote:

In lugnet.harrypotter, Paul Sinasohn writes:
That's us, plus all the robotic folks who bought the Mindstorms stuff as a
novelty experiment.

And any company that caters to 10% of its customers won't be in business too
long. :-)

Actually, that's not really true. I've spoken on this before, but the best
analogy I have so far is between us to heavy alcohol users. Alcoholics are
only 10% of the *customers* for alcohol-related companies, but they consume
50% of the alcohol created. I'm not claiming that lego addiction is
comparable to alcohol addiction in he sense that it's bad (1), just that us
adults can afford to, and *will*, buy more than the children market if we
are being catered.

The data you have there - are you sure it said 10% of *lego* was *bought* by
adults? Or was it 10% of customers? Plus, how does TLC know, if adults are
buying products in stores and such? It's just an estimate. Might be *very*
wrong. Additionaly, I am willing to argue ferociously that if lego catered
us, their heavy users, they would be way out of their financial troubles by now.

Keep in mind the Pareto (sp?) Principle. Or the 80/20 rule. 20% of your
clientele purchases 80% of your product. So, does the 10% presented
above equal 50% of the 20% Pareto concept? Or is that 10% of the 20% (in
essence 2% of total purchases)? Some interesting things to ponder as
your mind wanders through the murk.

Does that make sense?

Yes! No? Maybe... Erm, what was the question?

(1) That's a matter of opinion, and I'm not getting into that discussion!
Shoo, shoo!

This I will not touch with a ten foot pole.
--
Matt Brooks