 General / 9872
9871  |  9873
Subject:
More 2000 comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 05:00:29 GMT

Well it's twenty to five in the morning UK time so I'm off to bed. It was
great to be able to see the new sets. Overall though I'm slightly
disappointed.
About a quarter of the catalogue (on page count) is now devoted to Starwars
which is starting to seem excessive. Though
admittedly SW is the only theme that looks (in my opinion) like it has some
really great new sets. I love the look of that Millenium Falcon - though I
can see
I'm going to have to watch the films again - for most of the new sets I
haven't the slightest
idea where they appeared in SW! I guess the MF is going to be too small for
lot of people's tastes but that was inevitable if it was to be a set with a
price tag
that anyone could afford.

Outside SW, several new themes, but they all still have that blocky, chunky,
appearance that's characterised just about everything (with the exception of
ninjas,
hydronauts, insectoids and adventurers) the last couple of years. Nice to
see castle
back but the sets don't look anything like as intricate as the sets from 5-6
years ago.
And Lego seems to be moving further and further away from real life.
Adventurers
go prehistoric?

Interesting that town jr seems to have shrunk quite a way - and this must be
the first year
for ages that Lego does not have any police station (assuming the catalogue
is comprehensive).  Some of the new construction vehicles look to me a bit
less juniorised
than the current set. That raised black roadway looks like a great idea
that's been
ruined by poor implementation. The slope is far too steep - and I may be
wrong but
the picture kinda suggests the sloping roads have flat bits at one end,
which forces you
to set the slope to that particular angle. I hope I'm wrong on that since if
that's true,
that would turn the roads from a really great way to build flyovers etc.
into something
almost totally useless to me.

At best I guess you can say Lego isn't getting any worse next year.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com