 General / 9826
Re: Making Fake Pieces?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 01:56:11 GMT

WARNING: "purists" or those horrified by Lego part mutilation
should read no further...

...safety zone...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I have had excellent experience with attaching 32x32 baseplates to
3/4" pine boards with 1/2" long screws (4 screws per plate, inset
one row back from each corner)  The boards were ripped to one
baseplate width, and 2 or 3 baseplates long. The small brass screws had
"pan heads" that matched the diameter of a stud, and could be
covered by a brick.  We ( my nephew and I ) used this arrangement
on 2 or 3 baseplate long boards, to make town modules that could be
"picked up and put away."  We joined modules by connecting bricks
or plates across the seams.

I only do this to generic/easily-replacable green baseplates.

I too thought about using this approach to built a large ship, but with
the help of several traders/sellers I am going to attempt building
without the board, using a substantial qty of 12x24 (and some smaller)
green bricks. (Don't ask how much I have invested in this project,
I won't say, other than I have been accumulating parts for years.)

ymmv,
:?) bishop

Jamie Obrien wrote in message ...
Hi, i need to use some steel rods (maybe timber) as a main support for
one of my models. I need to do this for 2 reasons, have very little
technic pieces, and doubt i could create the strength required anyway.
What is the easiest (safest) way to stick Lego (old pieces of course)
onto the support so i can attach it to the main ship. I though i could
just glue them, but they may not hold. I'm also considering drilling
pin holes and gettin heaps of connector pins, which would alleviate
rotational stress problems, but then how do i disguise the main beam
itself.

BTW the models going to be pretty big (1.25m long, .75 widw, don't
know how high yet. Up to core frame).

Many thanks on any ideas!
Jamie Obrien
jamien@interworx.com.au