 General / 9785
Re: minifig neck question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 18:43:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher Lannan writes:
Howdy folks,

  Does anybody know why minifigs all have a black smudge painted on the front
of their necks? they've been like that for as long as I can remember. Looking
at darker colored torsos, i notice they have a white smudge. I'm thinking that
it marks the front for painting/ assembly in the production process. Anyone
know for sure?

Chris
When the minifigs are assembled, the machine 'reads' the neck area (with a
light meter) to see which side is the front.  Then, when it goes to put the
head piece on, it reads that to see where the printing is, so the figure faces
forward.  (I've watched the machine that assembles minifigs - it's quite
impressive!)

It's a completely mechanized process, the only thing humans have to do is fill
the various bins with the pieces required, and occasionally put an arm or a
hand on a figure that is missing pieces (probably less than one in one
hundred...)

JohnG  gmltc (and former LEGO employee!)
  (of course, remove the '.nospam' to reply...)