 General / 9125
9124  |  9126
Subject:
Latest Update for The Toy Aid to the Turkish Eartquake Children
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:20:18 GMT

Hi friends,

Larry kindly offered me to host the pictures that I've taken and I think
they will be up and running when Larry finds time to do that.

Here is a copy of the message that I've sent to Larry. It describes the
latest and final situation about subject in detail:

<<
Thanks for offering to host the pictures. I don't have any experience
with html editors and so on, so it could have been a little problem for
me.

Here is the remaining of the story:

As I already informed all of you, I repackaged the sets by using some
buckets with lids (cheap and durable kitchen ware) after taking the
delivery . By the way, my friends at job shared the amount that I paid
for bribe at the customs to take the parcels, so it was not so much
a big load just on me.

I prepared 4 similar play sets using contents of two 1200 pieces tubs,
two different types of 400 pieces freestyle sets, and a  landjet set
(from the total amount sent by Julie) for each. I've also added two
wheels/tyres sets and two windows/doors set to each to add more play
value (some of this sets were bought by money from Thomas Main). I also
divided all the other 5+ material that added by Julie to the amount
between these four play sets. The four of the big tubs that you see in
the pictures are containing regular brick content of those play sets and
the four smaller tubs has the non regular parts for these sets.

I also filled two more of this big buckets with the duplo bricks, and
two smaller ones with the interesting duplo sets sent by John & Diane
Cromer. For the primo bricks, I think small scale tubs would be much
more appropriate, so the circular tubs that you can see from the
pictures are those.

My first intention was went for the donation on the October 10th, but my
car (actually it's the property of the company that I'm working for) was
on duty at our branch factory in Eskisehir during the following two
weeks. So it was only possible at the last weekend.

Another and last not so good thing that occurred during the whole
process is a small traffic accident that took place during the trip (no
injuries or big damage to the car - I had my driving license only for 4
months..:-)) which caused nothing bad except our late arrival to the
site. So we can't catch the children on play, rather they were returned
back to their homes (tents I mean) at the time we arrived.

I think some information about the tent city in Gölcük/Gözlemen Hill
could be useful. This is one of the largest tent cities around Gölcük,
the city which the earthquake strikes worst, besides the city of
Adapazari. Gölcük gives more than 5.000 lives and it has more than
40.000 homeless people. This tent city accommodates almost 5.000 people,
so it is a rather large one. It has several child care centers like the
one we donated the toys, each cares almost 200 children. The center made
up of three large tents, one for preschool children, one for grownups,
and another one for cafeteria and office. It's run by voluntary
preschool teachers and psychologists and others, under the supervision
of Çocuk Esirgeme Kurumu (Parentless Children care Foundation).

The pictures that I've sent to you may seem nonsense (I felt that when I
look at them) but when you are there and observing the conditions that
are  unavoidable parts of their life, making some sort of things like
taking photos started to be felt as shameful. Sorry, but my English is
not so good to explain the feelings about it.

Since the package from Allan Bedford still hasn't arrived yet, I will
return back to there for bringing it and some color photocopied
freestyle type idea books from brickshelf, I think I can supply better
and happier photos like children on play.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes in anyway.

Best regards,

Selçuk

<snipped explanations of the pictures>