 General / 8934
Re: Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:59:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti writes:
To an extent I agree with you, but I posit that this proof of concept has
already been done.

It's done all the time.  I have one running now on BRICKS for 3033 tubs.
But the scale isn't anything that would get TLG to notice. (It's only 10
tubs sorted out).  Nor were the tubs purchased wholesale from TLG (on sale
at Kmart).

I think that the establishing of a business relationship with TLG first,
before asking for special orders, is crucial to the effort.  (just my
opinion though)

I disagree. :)  Like Larry, I think that a business case for exactly what we
want needs to be developed.  If we go to TLG asking for wholesale purchases,
they will simply treat us like a small-scale retailer, and that is (IMHO)a
road that leads farther away from bulk sales.

I am willing to put money in a service to order (directly or indirectly)
parts I can specify, in quantities I can specify.  Like I said, I'd be
willing to take a personal loss just to get something like that off the
ground. I,like several others here, am positive that once such a service
was started, it would prove profitable and sustainable.

I think that we all would like this.  I myself would be ordering up 100's of
1x16 beams, among other things.  I think that we are not succeeding in this
because we are trying to go straight to it.  I think that we might need to
take little steps towars this goal, and TLG might come around.

I think that going straight to what we want is the only way to get TLG to
listen.  In my experience, you're more likely to succeed by saying "I want an
apple pie" than by saying "I want a piece of pie.  I want another piece of
pie.  Well, that piece was good, but I want another one".  I think that this
approach would just develop a "Geez, what do the AFOLs want NOW.  Aren't they
happy with their 40 gazillion buckets?" response.

Getting our foot in the door is the first major hurdle, and I don't think
anyone has come up with a workable solution to that.  But once we get that, I
think Larry's suggestion of a good business case, with solid backers, is the
only way to convince TLG that we are serious.
James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/