 General / 8818
Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:27:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Nick Goetz writes:

Heck for all I know Lehman might be some
covert Lego operation to seduce ideas from the public at large. (Whoa! too
much X-Files)

Comparing the quality of the two sites (lugnet and lego), I don't think that
Todd would appreiciate the insinuation that he's been working for TLG ;)

Overall I can't help but think we are all shooting ourselves in the
foot. Everytime someone mentions how "stupid the Lego Group is for not
allowing bulk orders" or "how this years StarWars sucks" you have to believe
that people at Lego are probaly reading it. And you know what, if you were
polite to me on the phone, and then you turned around and said you were
going to "turn on more heat" I would write you off real quick. If you tick
off the wrong person all forward motion stops.

I disagree - when companies do market research, they don't offer lolipops to
people who say nice things about them - because the source is only valuable if
it is as true as possible. Now if Lego want to know what their (especially if
that report about 1/2 their customers being adult males is true!) customers
think, then this place is an ideal resource for them!

Question (for conspiracy theorists): is it a more ideal resource if TLG keep
their presence hidden? :)

I agree that individual TLG members might choose to react differently to Mike
if they do read his posting. But that's their decision - he's been honest,
reasoned and he's kept his honour regarding TLG identities, I don't think
they'd have any reason to hold a grudge.

I think that the place to be polite, constructive and non-provocative is in the
Dear-Lego newsgroup, but we wouldn't be doing anyone a favour if we felt
watched and inhibited every time we posted elsewhere.

Richard