 General / 8475
8474  |  8476
Subject:
Clearing cheques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 19:24:22 GMT

Quick question - I wondered what most people
do about waiting for cheques from other people to clear.

I've picked from somewhere the impression that the
done thing is to wait two weeks and assume the
cheque has cleared if you haven't heard from your bank
by then. I checked up with my bank a week ago and
they told me that if a cheque hasn't cleared they will
know within 4 working days and will write to me
immediately - which would seem to suggest I should
know within 5-6 working days. So two weeks seems
a fair time to me to wait that allows a safety margin for postal
delays etc.  Actually waiting for bank statements isn't
really feasible as I only get those once a month and I
don't want to keep people waiting that long.

What do other people think is reasonable?

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com