 General / 8052
Re: Is MISB meaningless?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:52:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Koesel writes:
I think that the term MIB (Mint in Box) was conceived first.
Later, the term MISB (Mint in Sealed Box) was created because
MIB was not specific enough.  I don't think either term is
specific to the Lego market.

To me, the better question is, "How is 'mint' defined"?  It
would seem that if pieces were removed and touched, then they
are no longer 'mint'.  That is why, for the most part, I try
not to buy anything labeled MIB unless I can really get a good
look, or detailed description of just what shape the parts are
in.

Yeah, too bad that we can't really have a true standard. Maybe we need to do
something like:

Pieces     Complete       Instructions | Box
=========|==============|==============|==========
M (mint) | C (complete) | M (mint)     | S (sealed)
G (good) | L (lacking)  | G (good)     | G (good)
U (used) |              | U (used)     | U (used)
         |              | N (none)     | N (none)

Hence, Mint could only describe things that were sealed.... or perhaps were
only touched once (someone sorting sets out, and selling the never used
instructions... maybe worthy of 'mint' title)

But anyway, that'd be odd... might get confusing, forgetting the order of
Pieces, instructions, box, etc.... plus it would mean instituting a new
standard... hard to set a *new* precedent

DaveE