 General / 7717
Re: Eeeek! New Milk Float!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:03:19 GMT

Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu> wrote in message
news:37DFC02C.554DC4C3@appstate.edu...
Mark and Simon,

Well, if I were you I would open those sets.  Get an exacto knife and
open them carefully along a side.  Build them and keep them separate
from your other Lego bricks...definitely run the wagon around the tracks
a few times :)

I've started doing something like that. I noticed there was a slight
gap between the folds of cardboard at one end. I've found I can
reversibly bend the box
a bit  to widen the gap and so I am slowly recovering the bricks
through it. I might
have trouble though, when it's just the wider 2x4 brick and the wheels
left.

It's quite interesting, seeing what bricks from that long ago are like
in a 'new' condition. So far I've only got blue and white bricks out.
I'm impressed by the fact that I cannot tell the difference between the
shades of white and blue on these bricks and on brand new bricks.
There's no fading - so I guess discolouration does only happen on
exposure - I guess to light of some wavelength. The brick I really
want to see though is the transparent one - to see whether it has
what Gary Istok describes as the 'champagne hue' or whether it is
completely colourless.

Interestingly, these bricks appear to have a higher amount of frictino
than new bricks do. It's noticeably harder to fit them together - so
I'm guessing at some point since then Lego decided to fractionally
reduce the size of the studs. Wonder why.

On modern bricks, if you join two bricks together with one stud,
you can freely rotate the bricks relative to each other. If you try it
with these old bricks, it's possible but a lot harder and it
produces a *horrible* screeching sound from the friction.

The box is quite fascinating too - all white with Legoland scrawled
across the top and a mixture of pictures and drawings of the set.

No doubt more excited revelations as I extract more bricks - though
I guess people like Gary already know all this?

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

Mark Harrison wrote:

Hi Simon,

I had the same thrill when I openned the only set I won in that auction. • A
brand new sealed 147 Refrigerated Rail Wagon from 1973. Now I have the
same problem that I'm sure Gary had, do I open it or don't I.

Mark H.

Simon Robinson wrote:

Sorry - I just have to share this...

I got my winnings from the Setzilla auction today. And - well,
I've never had any contact with Gary Louie but he has won
my enormous respect as someone who really looked after his
Lego - and must have had some patience.

You see my winnings included the 645 Milk Float from about
1971 I think. I'd read the stuff on the Auczilla site about 'new'
sets probably having been opened and had catalogues etc.
removed. So the very last thing I was expecting when I unpacked
the stuff was a 28-year-old set that was - literally - unopened!

That has totally made my day - the box has some rounding of
the corners and a little discoloration where
but is otherwise in excellent condition - better than
some boxes you see in the shops or new sets. I just can't stop
looking at it at the moment.

I guess tomorrow I'll have to face the question of whether I
still should build the set - I really wanted to see a built Milk Float
again but opening a box like that is going to feel like destroying
our heritage.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

--