 General / 7551
7550  |  7552
Subject:
FOTW --> BSB!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 06:29:39 GMT

My local used toy store once again made me feel like a 49'er in the
California hills reaching down into the mud and holding up a nugget glinting
in the sun.  As I was passing the store window on my way to work, there it
stood, a #6285 Black Seas Barracuda, with the box and instructions!  Upon
first glance it appeared to be complete and in excellent condition.

It was extremely dusty and almost all the pieces required a wash and light
scrub with a soft toothbrush.  I cleaned as I built, and it took me about
five hours to rebuild the ship.  Most of the parts were there, although the
numbskull who built the ship the last time didn't read the instructions
correctly and switched a couple of the large grey plates for the decks and
instead of taking the model apart and switching the pieces, they cut (argh!)
the larger plate down to fit!  I had a replacement, though.  One of the
lanterns was missing and the crew was not all present.  However, I got two
Pirate babes!  Party!  Bonus!  I was able to substitute almost all the
missing pieces except for some weapons and one of the windows (if someone
has two 1x4x3 yellow window frames with outside shutter fingers and one pair
of white lattice inner shutters I'd love to work out a trade!).

What an awesome ship!  I'm beginning to understand why the Pirates line is
so popular.  The BSB is such a grand, majestic model and it has so many
terrific details.  Four cannons, four holds, two sets of arched doors to the
captain's cabin, a wonderful set of sails, the female figurehead, and
especially the slanted rear deck and windows which fold out to give access
to the captain's cabin.

However, the main reason I love this ship so much is because I only had to
pay 94 dollars for it!   :-D

Dave (Yo, ho, ho, ho, a pirate's life for me!)