 General / 7455
7454  |  7456
Subject:
The summer doldrums and dog days are at an end....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:09:14 GMT

Hi Folks,  Some general ramblings......

Been away since Thursday.

Looks like the end of the summer vacation season is upon us...

Bet those online auction services will get a boost after the slow summer
months.  Glad I got my winning bids in.  Got one of my all time "holy
grail" sets from a European online auction for a steal.  Go check out
set 325 (Shell Station) in Pause.  IMHO this is the greatest gas station
LEGO ever made .... just love those unique garage doors (no other set
has these).

A lot of stuff going on this fall.  Got to get my Haunted Mansion going
for the Halloween  contest.

After Larry's visit last week, I've been thinking about building a new
train station.  The blue sloped roof (Romanesque Revival) train station
that I have on the website, will probably make a metamorphosis into an
"ivy league" type main college building, with the requisite tall
dominant old tower, but without the ivy.  Several buildings I've built
in the past have changed course over time.  My classic style old Opera
House sprouted wings several years ago, and became the Lego Museum of
Art (my entry into the Acropolis Contest).

And the new train station will be called CENTRAL STATION.   It will be a
combination of Train Station, hotel, offices, and a multilevel shopping
arcade.  Central Station is the name of the first Lego Train Station
model #148 from the mid 1970's (and one of my all time favorite
town/train sets).  It came with a lot of stickers, which I plan on using
on my building (or a copy thereof).  It's gonna have twin 18 story
towers (one a hotel, the other offices)  flanking a triple arched
entranceway with large windows in the arch openings.  There will be a
"frieze" above the entranceway to highlight the main entrance.  I
envision using lots of those 1x6x3 clear sloped skylights (found in
1980's fire stations) over the 4 level shopping arcade, which will
connect the building entrance with the midway and trainshed.  The whole
plan will be shaped like the letter "T", where the horizontal part of
the letter will be the train shed, and the vertical part of the letter
will be the shopping arcade.  The entrance will be at the bottom,
flanked by the twin 18 story towers.  I am going to reuse an existing 18
story office building with 2 wings as part of the train station, and
create a mirror image of it.

Sometime in the next few days I'm gonna do another "HISTORY OF......
Part 1" on some LEGO elements.  Not sure yet which ones.... maybe basic
bricks, or LEGO trees & bushes, or ????

How long does it take for Shop At Home items to get to your door from
when you ordered?  I gotta get those black sloped bricks....

I saw Bill Katz new website of Lego sets and pieces assembled in his
basement... looked more like the warehouse in Enfield..... (heh-heh)

Well enough rambling.....

Gary Istok