 General / 6997
Re: Set #1601 "Schmidt & Co"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:10:43 GMT

Hi John, thank you for the info. I´m in contact with some german collectors of
old (pre 1980) lego and second-hand lego dealers, but no one had an idea of
this set. Some have asked me about a color photocopy, so I will do some copies
soon and sent one to you. I don´t have to pay for the copies, so there is no
problem with the costs.

Ciao
Dirk

In lugnet.general, John DiRienzo writes:
  I saw a set #1601 for sale a while back.  At the time, I wondered about
it, and asked for info on RTL - and got one reply - I made a post asking for
pictures of it, but nobody replied.    I do appreciate your post of the
description - thanks!  Would it be possible to make a color photocopies of
the instructions (at my expense)?  I could scan those in, and I would love
to have at least that at this point.  Here is my posts about it and the
reply I got.

Reply and post #1:
I have no info on this one in my set database. I suspect it is either a
promotional or limited release set. Would you be able to get a picture of
the
set?Grahame Reid
<John D wrote:>
   I can not find anything regarding this old set on any Lego reference
sites.  It is set number 1601 (no name) and has a trolley and overpass. • Is
this a promotional set only available for a short time in one place?  I • can
not find a date, but I guess late 70s early 80s.  Can anyone help shed • some
light on this for me?  Thanks, John

Post #2:
A rough translation of the name for 1601 is "Expedition center" for
those adding to databases, and the year is approximately 1980.  Its a non-US
set, and I am not sure what countries it was available in, although I
suspect Germany and Denmark.  More news coming soon.

--
  Have fun!
  John
Dirk Niermann wrote in message ...
I´ve got the instructions of set #1601 from 1976, a rather big set, but I • never
heard about before. Neither it is mentioned in any german catalogs of this • time
nor could I find a picture or other information on the net. Maybe it is a
promotional set as the number indicates.

Unfortunately I don´t have the equipment to scan the instructions and put • it on
the net, so I try to describe the set as good as I can.

It is a complete factory or haulage company with office, garage, industrial
chimney, manufacturing hall or warehouse with overhead crane, goods, truck • and
workers.

It is build on a green 24x32-baseplate with white marked studs indicating • the
positions of the walls.

The company´s building has yellow 1x-walls made of basic bricks and a one • brick
high black pedestal. Even the back has a wall.

The building is divided up in three parts with different altitude. The • right
part is a garage, entrance with two red 4x6-doors (like castle #375) to the
right, and two open "romanic" windows (with arches) to front- and backside.
On front of the black flat roof of the garage there is a red 1x6-brick. • This
brick has a red sticker with the company´s name "Schmidt & Co" in white
letters.

The center part of the building is a two-storied office with red windows • and a
staircase in front of the main entrance on the ground floor. The main • entrance
is a partial transparent red door with knob and a red door frame. Like the
garage the office has a black flat roof. A tall yellow industrial smoke • stack
with a black 2x2-brick on top is in a corner of this roof.

The left part of the building is a manufacturing hall. A black loading ramp • in
front leads to an entrance with two red 3x4-doors. The left wall has two
romanic windows, the back a 5x5-opening. The hall has a black flat roof, • too.

On top of the factory building two blue rails are connected side by side on • a
yellow beam forming a railway for a huge blue overhead crane construction. • The
corrosponding left crane railway is build on the baseplate beside the • building.
The black crane carriage runs underneath another pair of rails, forming the • top
of a portal construction. So the crane is moveable in two dimensions like a
x-y-plotter and the cranes hook in three dimensions.

There are also goods you can move with the help of the crane from the • loading
ramp to a truck or somewhere else on the factory site. The red truck has
another two "Schmidt & Co" stickers on it. The set also comes with two • workers,
blue faceless and limbless minifigs with black peaked caps.

I like the set very much for its many details and the "industrial-style"
architecture which is quite unusual for town-sets and see it in a line with • the
slightly older wonderful #360 gravel works or #351 loader hopper. I • remember
functionality and playability of these sets were great and we loved them • even
without minifigs. To my regret today town sets with "industrial themes" are • no
longer part of the product range.

I picked up the instructions in Bremen, Germany. Currently I ´m looking to • find
the missing pieces with stickers and the baseplate.
If anyone has red 1x6-bricks with "Schmidt & Co" stickers for trade, please • let
me know. Any further information about this set would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dirk