 General / 6953
6952  |  6954
Subject:
Set #1601 "Schmidt & Co"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:38:21 GMT

I´ve got the instructions of set #1601 from 1976, a rather big set, but I never
heard about before. Neither it is mentioned in any german catalogs of this time
nor could I find a picture or other information on the net. Maybe it is a
promotional set as the number indicates.

Unfortunately I don´t have the equipment to scan the instructions and put it on
the net, so I try to describe the set as good as I can.

It is a complete factory or haulage company with office, garage, industrial
chimney, manufacturing hall or warehouse with overhead crane, goods, truck and
workers.

It is build on a green 24x32-baseplate with white marked studs indicating the
positions of the walls.

The company´s building has yellow 1x-walls made of basic bricks and a one brick
high black pedestal. Even the back has a wall.

The building is divided up in three parts with different altitude. The right
part is a garage, entrance with two red 4x6-doors (like castle #375) to the
right, and two open "romanic" windows (with arches) to front- and backside.
On front of the black flat roof of the garage there is a red 1x6-brick. This
brick has a red sticker with the company´s name "Schmidt & Co" in white
letters.

The center part of the building is a two-storied office with red windows and a
staircase in front of the main entrance on the ground floor. The main entrance
is a partial transparent red door with knob and a red door frame. Like the
garage the office has a black flat roof. A tall yellow industrial smoke stack
with a black 2x2-brick on top is in a corner of this roof.

The left part of the building is a manufacturing hall. A black loading ramp in
front leads to an entrance with two red 3x4-doors. The left wall has two
romanic windows, the back a 5x5-opening. The hall has a black flat roof, too.

On top of the factory building two blue rails are connected side by side on a
yellow beam forming a railway for a huge blue overhead crane construction. The
corrosponding left crane railway is build on the baseplate beside the building.
The black crane carriage runs underneath another pair of rails, forming the top
of a portal construction. So the crane is moveable in two dimensions like a
x-y-plotter and the cranes hook in three dimensions.

There are also goods you can move with the help of the crane from the loading
ramp to a truck or somewhere else on the factory site. The red truck has
another two "Schmidt & Co" stickers on it. The set also comes with two workers,
blue faceless and limbless minifigs with black peaked caps.

I like the set very much for its many details and the "industrial-style"
architecture which is quite unusual for town-sets and see it in a line with the
slightly older wonderful #360 gravel works or #351 loader hopper. I remember
functionality and playability of these sets were great and we loved them even
without minifigs. To my regret today town sets with "industrial themes" are no
longer part of the product range.

I picked up the instructions in Bremen, Germany. Currently I ´m looking to find
the missing pieces with stickers and the baseplate.
If anyone has red 1x6-bricks with "Schmidt & Co" stickers for trade, please let
me know. Any further information about this set would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dirk