 General / 6980
Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:24:15 GMT

Richard is right.  We do whine a lot......

I agree as well and that is probably one of the reasons many people dislike
Americans.  We rarely take a Global view and are for the most part more
concerned about ourselves and rarely think outside of the bounds of the USA.
That being said the USA also seems to have become the worlds "police".  Whether
this is a good thing or not is debatable.  In many cases it could be said that
we only take on the causes that effect our economy (See Iraq).  We do however
also help out when human rights are involved (See Bosnia) although that was a
little late in coming I think.  We also send help when disastar strikes (See
Turkey) along with a great many other contries.

<snip>

So yeah, we (USA) should be more sensitive to what is going on in the rest of
the world.
Are we luckier?  Is there is a price to pay for our cheap gas?.  Yes, there is
a price.  To use the vernacular, "our roads suck!"  We may have cheap gas
prices, but we make up for them in more frequent auto repair (now there's
something to whine about!).

There are many things you could throw in here such as we get an average of 2
weeks vacation where Europeans get an average of 4.

Our foods are bland and more geared toward quick preperation then quality.

We have to listen to every little problem one of our leaders has with their
personal lives while most of the world sits by watching and laughing at us for
concerning ourselves with such issues.

<snip>

All that being said however I am very happy to live in the USA and feel very
fortunate.  As I have stated before however I do wish we as a society would pay
more attention to world issues other than Wars and Natural Disastars.  There is
alot more happening out in the world that deserves our attention as well.

I have been trying to take a more worldly view and I admit it is hard sometimes
because the American media does not focus on world issues other than Wars and
Natural Disastars for the most part so we have to look elsewhere for our news.
Fortunately the internet is such a tool and it is not hard to find very
interesting international news on the net.  We just need to start reading more
of it.

We are to geared towards "sound-bites" and not towards real news stories and
that needs to change.

Eric

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/