 General / 6971
Re: The fabulous - Building Idea Book #1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:56:33 GMT

As you can see, in the 1960's Lego was not just for children!

Gary Istok wrote:

(Reprinted from RTL.LEGO)

I've been wanting to get the very first Lego idea book posted  here for
some time .....

Ah! Someone else beat me to the "publishing" punch.

http://home.t-online.de/home/tomslego/before1968.htm

The fabulous book shown at this website is the "BUILDING IDEA BOOK #1",
(Lego
#238).  This book was produced in several version between 1960-1967.
This was
produced in Danish, German, English and an International version without

writing.  Anders has the earlier 1960 (Danish?) version without the
wheels.  I
have a mint copy of the German version which is also listed below.  I
also have a
few page from the International version (which shows the British Houses
of
Parliament in grey (a sketch, not a photo)).  On Tore Eriksson's
website, there
is a 1960 Swedish magazine ad that shows this book.  That's how I know
that it
goes as far back as 1960.

This is my all time favorite Lego book!!!  As stated earlier, it is Lego
item
#238.

As Anders has stated, I built the blue castle shown in this book and its
on the
website listed below.  My version of the blue castle has 4 towers with a

courtyard, and I use real windows (744 windows!) instead of clear bricks
(I
needed those for my Cathedral).

There are also some really neat photos of the Town Plan system in this
book.
And the front and back cover show all the Lego items that were available
in
1960-62.

If you look at the picture immediately after the blue castle (Section
11), you
will see a man and woman building their dream house.  This building
became the
model for the VERY FIRST MODEL LEGO SET that was not part of the Town
Plan - the
1961 Samsonite Junior Constructor #717, which was only sold in
USA/Canada.  Here
it is in the 1961 Samsonite Lego Catalog (America's first Lego catalog)
on the
Bill Katz/Joe Lauher website:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

You will notice that the USA version has an extra dormer window built
into the
roof on the left side of the house.  The European version in this
catalog has no
such dormer.  In fact the European version was never produced as a set.
I have
built this house (in both versions) more often than any other building
over the
last 39 years (at least 20 times!).

Gawd I love this book!!!

Gary Istok

Anders Isaksson wrote:

John D skrev i meddelandet ...
Tom Schlosser shows another old idea book on his web page.  His • does
appear to have wheels on the Train models, so it must not be quite as • old.
http://home.t-online.de/home/tomslego/before1968.htm

Thanks for bringing up that URL! Yes, I think the consensus was that • his book
is 1962 or later (that's when wheels were introduced), and mine is • probably
61, maybe 60.

I was just snooping around your page some more and found that blue • Castle
I had as a background a few months ago!

Have you seen Gary Istok's pictures - he has actually built it (for • real!)
http://my.voyager.net/lar/gistok.html

I could not find
the idea book from your web page, only from the URL in your post.  Is • there
anything else that I may have missed, which isn't linked to on your • webpage?

I don't know, there is never enough time to meddle with the pages ;-) • ... No,
I don't think there is anything else, unless you want to make my boys • (9 and
12) happy, and look at their pages too :-)

Happy building, and all that,
Anders Isaksson, Sweden