 General / 6958
Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:10:01 GMT

[follow-ups set to lugnet.off-topic.fun]
In lugnet.general, "Adam Howard" <abhoward10@hotmail.com> wrote:
Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:37c15dc5.5818575@lugnet.com...
On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:27:35 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

BTW, everyone tries to rip off Californians, including other Californians.
Need anyone mention the evil oil companies? Okay, I will. The price of gas in
the states is averages somewhere $1.15 - $1.25 a gallon but here in the SF Bay
Area is around $1.80 per gallon of 89 octane, cheap by European standards
though.

It's nothing to do with ripping people off, it's the overall local prices.
IIRC The Bay Area has the *highest* cost of living in the entire 48
contiguous states.

Right now, gas prices are sucking in MI--they're hanging around $1.25/gal
for 87 octane (that's 'bout 0.33USD/liter for the cheap stuff, if anyone
cares).

It also has to do with the type of gasoline you use.  California passed a law a few years back that requires a special kind of
'environmentally' friendly gasoline.  It's debatable whether it's really environmentally friendly or not (mainly because the mpg is
a lot less than gasoline used in the rest of the country.)  This 'environmentally' friendly gasoline costs a whole lot more to make,
a whole lot more.  And that is one reason it costs more at the pump.

It also has a lot to do with the local gasoline taxes.  It amazes me how
much gas prices change when I cross state lines.  Once I actually turned
around and headed back across the border to fill up because of the
difference in price (hint: if you are leaving Missouri for Illinois, top
off your tank before crossing the River).

Steve