 General / 6945
6944  |  6946
Subject:
LEGO NZ - What's going on?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:05:54 GMT

LEGO NZ (based in Auckland) is currently in the process of closing down
operations.  This is part of the worldwide "Fitness Program" that TLG has
undertaken following their less than impressive financial performance last
financial year.

From early September all LEGO stock will be handled by a third party
wharehousing operation.  A small marketing team will remain in NZ but all
spare parts operations will handled out of LEGO Australia.

Last Saturday (21/8) I had lunch with the Spare Parts Manager and his wife
after which I gave the spm a brief tour of some the fan created websites on
the web (back at my office).  We also discussed at great length the
direction TLG is heading down and some of the changes TLG are undertaking
inhouse.

Four key points that arose from our conversation are as follows:

1)
Management at LEGO NZ have stated that there will be NO sale of any
remaining spare parts to private individuals.   At present the SPM is
undertaking a stocktake of the majority of pieces/sets in the spare parts
area.

Dacta NZ and another organisation have expressed interest in purchasing a
number of pieces in the collection.  Once they have had the opportunity to
purchase what they want, all remaining stock will be packed up and shipped
to LEGO Australia.

2)
The spm was very impressed by the quality of fan created sites on the
internet.  He was most "blown away" by one particular site, www.kl.net.
He was suprised however that TLG provided no support in any way, shape or
form.

3)
He harbours no grudges against TLG.  They've been a great employer to him
over the years.

4)
The possibility of bulk ordering will depend on how much pressure is brought
to bear on TLG and in particular its branches worldwide.  At the end of the
day TLG want to make money and if they see that there is a sustainable
demand for bulk ordering they will no doubt look at it very seriously.

I paid one final visit to LEGO NZ yesterday.  While it's still business as
usual at the moment in the front office, the LEGO sets in stock in the back
wharehouse are currently being moved to their new location.  LEGO NZ in it's
present form will cease operations in early September.

Sanjay

--
LEGO Stadium @ Http://Homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jsds