 General / 6423
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:57:25 GMT

I guess from my stand point, I bought most of my early sets to have them, but
even when I was 4, I wanted a whole bunch of parts, but my parents would never
would buy 7 sets just for parts. I was particularly found of the computers and
the like.

The big question is whether bulk ordering is a possibility for TLG (LG). The
potential for TLG (LG) is there, be it more money, happier customers, and a
great service to everyone. I would love to start my own business, to be the
middleman for them, if it is too much for them. I would sort the parts, pay for
them, and sell them over the phone or internet. They would just have to supply
the parts, and make production runs every now and then. To go way off the dream
scale (THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN), having my own plant, where TLG would OK us having
certain molds to run, and making parts for this business. Will it work? I would
love to try. Until then, I guess we can sit and debate all day, but nothing will
come avail unless we somehow convince them otherwise.

Scott Sanburn

Tom McDonald wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gregor Benedikt Rochow writes:

Scott "Been wanting bulk orders since I was 4" Sanburn

...which is something that's overlooked by both LG and
people arguing that "kids are their primary market", hence
all those special parts wants that are assumed to be a rare
adult idea aren't significant to LG, etc...
<snip>

I often wanted more of certain parts. Sometimes it was just for enhancing an
official Lego set, like putting in a wall where there wasn't one, or adding a
window or something. Often it wasn't a bargeload of pieces I wanted but a few
to several to complete my idea. Of course who knows how many more I would have
wanted even if I got those parts? As David Zonker Harris says, "It's a good
start, but I'm always looking for a few more legos". :-)  But isn't everyone?

I don't know if this important detail can be mentioned in this
letter (because children are also quite unlikely to be able
to participate if it requires being part of a group purchase
rather than dealing directly with LG), but it certainly is
one to remember when arguing what small % of the market
adults make...where you happier with the offerings as a child
than now?

I would add that how kids build and how adults build are different, so the
kinds of parts ordered might vary amongst age groups. It's not often that a 16-
yr-old boy is going to go out of his way to bulk order flowers for his town,
but I can see Sanjay ordering at least several dozen.

For even younger kids, their unlikelyhood hinges on:
1. they wouldn't know how;
2. too shy to place a bulk order by themselves;
3. can't buy anything without parental approval

Yet, if TLG printed something fairly vague in a catalog such as, "Can't find
the pieces you're looking for? We might be able to help you! Call 1-800-EAT-
BRIX 9am-9pm ET" that would be all a lot of kids would need. They might not
want a catalog full of detailed parts descriptions, but if they new that they
could order a couple more Spyrius droids (elements either currently in
production, or in on-hand stock) they might do it. If that kind of service was
available when I was collecting classic space back when I was 12, I would have
ordered a bunch more rockets, big trans-plates, and several more viewscreens.

AFOLs would, of course, push the limits. But if TLG had a restrictions to give
others a chance at acquiring, then it might work.

"Wake up now, Tom.."
"Huh?.. uh, oh yeah."

-Tom McD.
when replying, pay no attention to the spamcake behind the curtain.