 General / 6314
6313  |  6315
Subject:
in reply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 02:16:58 GMT

Yes, the new 8448 is just the same.  I just finished building it about 10
minutes ago.  There are two instruction books.  One just to finish the running
hardware, and a second to start upper body and non-moving parts.  The second
manual is thick as a book.  The two together have over 270 pages.  You must
decide to build either the gull-wing door, or the convertible.  However, once
done, there are instructions to build 4 other models.  These instructions are
semi-complete and they end early, but have good pics of the completed model so
you can feel out the remaining steps.  Nothing too hard to complete.  Someone
stated earlier that a motor can be placed in the car.  This is true.  The set
comes with two yellow parts that hold up the rear end.  Then you can install a
motor just under the engine.  It even comes with the mounts as part of the
kit.  They also said that the car would be too heavy to actually move.  The
car weighs about 5 pounds when completed.  What was incredibly cool is that
you can move the engine at any time to the rear of the car within seconds.
However, if you leave it in the front, I found that my Mindstorm RCX fits in
the trunk almost as if it was meant too.  So I placed it in the trunk, put the
car in 2nd and started it up.  Yes it moved, so I shifted it into 3rd, and it
actually picked up speed.  4th just barely creeps along and 5th wont even
move, so 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse all will make the car move on a flat
surface.  As for the box, its humongous and follows the new silver box
pattern.  The different assemblies are in their own small boxes, just like the
Mos Espa Pod Race set.  There are 8 smaller boxes, each with a major part of
the car.  Chassis, Front Suspension, Rear Suspension, Transmission, Engine,
Seats and Dashboard, Frame work, and finally, the Option part where you decide
to do the doors or the roof.

Jason F.