 General / 6189
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:37:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Sinasohn writes:
The easiest thing to do would be to convince TLG that selling to organized
Groups is just like handling any other order...except that the Groups' orders
could be filled directly from storage bins.

BUT

if the assembly/packing lines at Enfield or Billund are accurately represented
by the "demo" factory at Carlsbad, then bulk orders may never be possible
because they would interrupt the flow of parts to the main assembly line. That
won't fly.

What we need is someone on the inside, at a factory, who can tell us what the
actual layout is and how parts are stored when not in active use in a • packaging
operation. There might be some kind of "portable" packing solution - a • counting
scale that snuggles in to the storage bins, but using that would be labor
intensive.

As I see it, based on my knowledge of MFG/Packing operations, it all hinges on
the offline storage methods in use. But then my MBA is in Finance, so I could
be wrong.

More info is required.

But what about the model design teams who have bins of the same part in their
waarehouse?  That's their personal collection, but there's apparently a way of
collecting one type of part for storage.  And there's the part replacement
service.  So there is a way.  I'm guessing that some parts go to set assembly
and others go to stocking areas.  So from that, it isn't impossible to set up
a bulk ordering service.

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org