 General / 6095
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:29:54 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Sanjay D'Souza wrote:

Suppose you had? You could have ordered a lot more with the profits. The
larger the order, the less cost to TLG to fill it.

The effort involved in ordering pieces is more than you can image.

Doubtful. I have a very large imagination. Don't forget that I've seen
some incredibly broken business processes in my day, it's what I do for
a living.

After
each order I promised myself that that would be my last.  As it turned out a
few months later I would once again be formulating another order.

Keep in mind that large orders take about a month and a half for LEGO NZ to
process.  Prices for each piece (of which there were about 500) have to be
found using a system of two separate parts books.  It's a very difficult
system to use according to the SPM and not something you'd want to do every
day.

I'd gladly wait 6 months to get 10,000 windows. I'd gladly sit down and
formulate the order myself if I had access to the information needed to
do so. I'd gladly restrict myself to one order a year if I could be
ordering for everyone else on the net, paying TLG twice what TLG sells
the parts for now, and still making a small profit meeting netters
needs. The market is out there. You lacked the vision to see how to do
this properly, IMHO.

I reiterate, the larger the quantity of parts in the order the less the
cost to TLG. If it takes 5 minutes to look up a blue train window in
some arcane book that 5 minutes is better spent securing 10,000 of the
windows and making both me AND Mike P and every other train head happy
instead of securing 100 and just making YOU happy. If it takes an entire
hour to look it up, that is even more true.

I repeat, you could have made much larger orders without increasing the
number of different parts ordered had you brought others in. That would
have actually SAVED TLG money. All you had to do was think it through.

So you should have kept quiet because my email (in the 1/2 hour since I
posted) is already telling me a lot of USians are pretty annoyed. And
you can drop the whole "the rest of the world pays more and gets less"
line, because after all, you can always move here if you want... you'd
just have to give up free health care, right?

So be happy with all your blue tile. What I've got instead is true bile.

lugnet.

Hell, me and Larry would gladly rent a dump truck from Michigan, drive it to
Enfield, count out the pieces and drive it back ourselves, just to get the
opportunity to "make it easier on TLG" and satisfy our Lego urges....(10,000
windows for me, 10,000 for you, and 10,000 2x2 white cylinders for me and 10,000
for you.......)

Gary Istok