 General / 6080
Re: How to tell Cellulose Acetate from ABS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:35:16 GMT

   Hi Gary and others who like old Lego,
   Its definitely the dog days of summer here in Saint Louis.  I was doing
the same, sorting, and finding a lot more CA pieces than I realized I had.
I found a few of these white 4x8 plates with one round corner.  Do these
have a name?  I believe they were in an old gas station set (Esso - before
Shell) and wondered if they were in any other sets or parts packs (I am
pretty sure they were in a separate parts pack, but can't find its number).
I think these are pretty shiny (sparkly is the word that comes to mind)
compared to ABS bricks.  The studs on CA bricks seem to be a tiny bit taller
(less than 1 mm) than those on ABS bricks, too.  Of course, if they have any
play wear, that doesn't help much.  Also, not of much use on very small
pieces, but a factor with bigger pieces, is the bending test - if you apply
a certain amount of force to an ABS plate it will flex, however the same
amount of force on a CA plate will crack it - to test it, you can sense if
its bending or about to crack.  Of course, old ABS is more prone to breakage
than new pieces, but even old ABS has more give than CA.  One last test is
the flick test - flicking it with your fingernail makes a different sound -
it takes a real expert to notice it though ;-)

--
   Have fun!
   John
Gary Istok wrote in message <379DE68F.3864C288@umich.edu>...
The online newsgroups are quiet today ..... the "Dog Days" must be here. • (For
those non-US folks we in the USA call late July and all of August the "Dog • Days of
Summer" because throughout most of the USA it is HOT (32-38 degree Celcius) • and
people just don't feel like doing a lot - many go on vacation (holiday)). • So I
was in my cool basement (cellar, keller) looking thru my Lego last • night......

I have been digging thru my plate bins (1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4) last • night, and I
dug out a lot of the Cellulose Acetate plates that I have.  I had a lot • more than
I thought I did.  There is another way to differentiate mint (or near mint)
Cellulose Acetate pieces from ABS pieces of the same condition.  That is • the
mirror-like surface.  Cellulose Acetate pieces have a hihly reflective • mirrorlike
surface.  ABS, on the otherhand, has more of a matt (dull) finish to it.

But one of the easiest way to spot Cellulose Acetate is still warping.  If • it is
warped, its more than likely Cellulose Acetate.

Gary Istok